Buying a 1999 YZ 400, anything to look for in specific?

10 replies to this topic
  • orangyktmthing

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:02 PM

Hello all, I am pretty new to the four stroke scene. I am just moving up from my two stroke 250 to a 99 YZ 400 to do some trail riding and track riding (basically an all around machine). Is there anything in specific that I should be looking for condition wise or any inherent problems with this machine? Any information would be greatly appreciated! (I know a decent amount about the two smokers, but am a little behind on the fours.)

• PatrickM

Posted May 04, 2007 - 02:27 AM

I would look at the Fork seals and the rear shock seal. if they leak I would lower your price or dont buy it

I just bought myself a 99 YZ400 and about three rides in, The water pump seals and other water pump parts went out and started to leak fluid from the side of the pump housing.....

Is really an easy fix and the parts costed me a total of $50.....

I would also look at the condition of the radiator and other cooling parts....The YZ400's tend to heat up so the cooling system needs to be in good shape

Other than that, the normal bike things (that applied to your 2 stroker) still apply...

I really love the bike and you will not be disappointed!!!!!!

Good luck and I hope you find a great deal!!!!

Patrick M.

• moose offroad

Posted May 04, 2007 - 03:09 AM

Hello all, I am pretty new to the four stroke scene. I am just moving up from my two stroke 250 to a 99 YZ 400 to do some trail riding and track riding (basically an all around machine). Is there anything in specific that I should be looking for condition wise or any inherent problems with this machine? Any information would be greatly appreciated! (I know a decent amount about the two smokers, but am a little behind on the fours.)

Why would you buy a over-weight,out of date turd.........:applause:

• xr-jorger

Posted May 04, 2007 - 08:01 AM

why harp on what someone wants man, I'm sure no one said anything when you bought a 250!

• Jared99

Posted May 04, 2007 - 10:57 AM

ya maybe were not all like you and got money for that new stuff get the 400 it will smoke a 250 2 stroke ive done several times.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • orangyktmthing

Posted May 04, 2007 - 11:05 AM

Well, I would like to get a brand spanking new 450, but the income doesn't warrant that move. So the next logical thing is to get something that is in decent condition that I can afford. You know, paying my way through school does hinder the finances a bit. Must be nice to have all the money in the world to get what you want.

• Jared99

Posted May 04, 2007 - 08:01 PM

ya well i got my 99 400f for 1700 hundred and it is plenty of bike for n e one my buddy has a 97 cr250 and it will dust his bike bad another friend has a 04 450 and mine is just as quick he just tops out faster.had a yz 250 before my 400 and i will never ride another 2 stroke.

• moose offroad

Posted May 05, 2007 - 03:12 AM

Well, I would like to get a brand spanking new 450, but the income doesn't warrant that move. So the next logical thing is to get something that is in decent condition that I can afford. You know, paying my way through school does hinder the finances a bit. Must be nice to have all the money in the world to get what you want.

Screnshaw400,sorry for the flame,good luck with your 400,welcome to TT.......Moose.

• Spam Animal

Posted May 05, 2007 - 05:51 PM

Sounds like you got a good deal! I just picked up the same bike for $1,500 but it was from a good friend. It was raced one season before he got it . He rode it for a year around his 5 acre farm , then put it up in the barn till now.
Im sure you like yours! Its got more power than this 51 yr old dad can handle. I put a bigger sprocket on the back the day I got it. It climbs great up some pretty steep stuff at low speeds.
My son and I, (age 11) go riding here in SC on our 14 acres. Theres allot of good flat area to run hard in and theres a section that is terraced and goes up a pretty good hill that we do some jumping on . My boy just got a 2002 yz85. The bikes sure have brought us back together as a father and son. Ive ridden some in the past , but this is the first time my son or I really ever owned a race type dirtbike . Were both rookies, so you can imagine what its like for us., ZOOMMmmmm!!!
I busted my butt yesterday for the first time . Two minutes after that, I did it again! I was practicing wheelies just for the fun of it. Then all of a sudden..... You got it!... MOUSE TRAP!. I flipped that puppie over backwards twice. The second time, is when it really hurt! Thank God for helmets. I still have a slight headache! You enjoy that thing!!!

Oh yeah, I have no book for the 400. Whats the procedure for checking the oil???
Froggie

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2007 - 03:13 PM

Oh yeah, I have no book for the 400. Whats the procedure for checking the oil???
Froggie

Get a manual, and look it up:

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

In summary, the YZF is a dry sump lube system that uses the same oil supply to lube the complete engine and trans. Oil storage is in the frame, but will run down into the crankcase over time. Because of this, you can only check the oil accurately within 30 minutes of it being shut down. Run the engine for at least 90 seconds, shut it off and wait about 30 seconds, then check the dip stick.

• Spam Animal

Posted May 06, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Your the man!!!
Thanks!!! I've asked at least a few others that replied about checking the oil but, they never got specific enough for me. I posted this message on "Dirt Rider" and one of the replies I got was" I like the Rad to get warm"
Thats all he said. I thought I was specific enough in my post but .....
I guess he must have thought I had some idea about what the heck I was doing. It took me about 30 seconds to figure out what "Rad" was. LOL

My Brain Thinking:
Rad??? whats a Rad??? Let me think a second...
Ok. He said Rad gets warm, Radical??? ,Radius??? Rad,Rad,Rad, Rad gets warm... Ok, what gets warm on a bike when you run it that begins wit Rad???
Thinking...,Thinking......... Think Froggie , THINK!!!................Oh , Ok... Radiator! He means the Radiator!!!! Duh!
Must be some MX lingo? I guess... Yup, he meant the Rad, as in R-A-D-I-A-T-O-R !!!!!!!
Now I feel like a dope!

Thank God for multiple opinions! Im not stupid but I can tell you as far as it goes with bikes, You put gas in, change the oil, clean the air filter check the tires, tighten the chain as needed and tighten up all nuts and bolts periodicly.
Other than that... Ride like heck and bring it to the friend that I got the bike from when it wont run. I should be enrolled in the " "Dirt bikes for Dummies class! LOL
I cut some awesome trails in my pasture today with my son. One side of my pasture is terraced (About 2 1/2 acres) and is on a good hill graduating from a slight incline on one end to steeper and steeper grade as you get to the other end. The trails we cut in start at one end and go back and forth ,from top to bottom about six times making it steeper as you make your way from one end of the pasture to the other. What a blast!!! If you hit the terrace rises at a pretty good lick , your wondering when the ground is going to back under you!
Anyway, thanks for your tips and your time.
Happy Trails,
Froggie... FrogTown ,SC

51 year old rookie with a passion for body pain... LOL

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.