WR450F 2006 larger tank

10 replies to this topic
  • blueyam

Posted May 03, 2007 - 08:04 PM

Any feedback on a larger tank for my 2006 WR450? Looks like Clark and IMS are the two main mfgrs. I've heard one has problems with leaky seams, not sure which one or if true at all. Also not clear from their web sites if I'll need YZ cowling or my stock WR will work with a little cutting here and there. I also installed aftermarket aluminum radiator guards and want to keep those in place. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 03, 2007 - 08:49 PM

Any feedback on a larger tank for my 2006 WR450? Looks like Clark and IMS are the two main mfgrs. I've heard one has problems with leaky seams, not sure which one or if true at all. Also not clear from their web sites if I'll need YZ cowling or my stock WR will work with a little cutting here and there. I also installed aftermarket aluminum radiator guards and want to keep those in place. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

I have the acerbis tank for my 05, which is the same as your 06. I got to keep all of my plastics and my radiator brace.

• NavyNuke

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:52 PM

I have the IMS on my 06, got it off someone on here used. other than the petcock leaking was great. Fixed that by making a gasket for the petcock out of an old tube that got a pinch flat. and yes the factory gasket was still in the petcock.

• blueyam

Posted May 04, 2007 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I'll look into the suggestions

• baha

Posted May 04, 2007 - 05:54 PM

I own both brands and find the clarke to be better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted May 05, 2007 - 07:13 AM

the 05 wr had a 2.6 gal tank stock,i run one on my 05 yz. i had a clarke 2.8 and found it bulkier than the 2.6....also tried a ims 3.? and it was way too big for a 2 hr HS.

• MountainMax

Posted May 05, 2007 - 08:36 AM

I use a 3.2 gallon Acerbis tank and love it, kept all stock plastic on my 06, and even removed my stock gas tank decals and transfered them to the new tank. It has nice clearance for all items (like rads and exhaust) here are some pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

• blueyam

Posted May 05, 2007 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the pics, they help. I spoke with 3 shops that carry Acerbis. All 3 said their supply catalog (parts unlimited) stated you need 2003 YZ radiator shrouds to go with the 3.3 gallon Acerbis tank for the 2006 WR450F. Looks like the YZ shrouds aren't really needed. I'll post back if any challenges after I get the tank. Thanks again.

• MountainMax

Posted May 05, 2007 - 08:36 PM

I like pics, they are worth a thousand words........... You don't need anything if you have an 05 or 06 wr as they have 04 yz plastic already on them, bolted right on, but if you do get it, check the bolts surrounding the fuel cap, one of mine vibrated out and i lost it, while others were loose, and i had a hard time getting one to match.... (had to go to acerbis)

• badladd

Posted May 03, 2009 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for the pics, they help. I spoke with 3 shops that carry Acerbis. All 3 said their supply catalog (parts unlimited) stated you need 2003 YZ radiator shrouds to go with the 3.3 gallon Acerbis tank for the 2006 WR450F. Looks like the YZ shrouds aren't really needed. I'll post back if any challenges after I get the tank. Thanks again.

How did you make out with your replacement tank for your WR? I'm ready to do the same and am also hearing you need to replace the shrouds with the Acerbis tank which is contrary to what I'm reading here. Any clarification would help, don't want to buy shrounds if I don't need them.

• Tough Guy

Posted May 03, 2009 - 04:28 PM

I have the IMS 3.1 tank, I like it. You will need YZ shrouds for it.

Chris

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.