Distinct hot oil smell from my 07

16 replies to this topic
  • 700MX

Posted May 03, 2007 - 07:47 PM

Any ideas on what it could be????? It has smelt like oil since new........ and it just gets me worried. my freinds can smell the oil when I ride by them

THANKS

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:42 PM

Are you a Rotella user?

• SXP

Posted May 04, 2007 - 06:59 AM

Are you a Rotella user?

I am - on my 99s and 07. No oily smell from the 07 or one of the 99s. The other 99, however, is getting tired and spits excessively through the vent hose, and I get a distinct hot oil smell from the bike when I shut it down. But I believe it would do it with any oil.

• never59

Posted May 04, 2007 - 07:59 AM

As usual gray racer is dead on with the stinky rotella oil. I use it and it stinks, no way around it. Stunk in my 02, 04 and now my 07. Great oil but literally stinks. I will just leave it at that. No oil debates please???:applause: :applause:

• kyle450rider

Posted May 04, 2007 - 08:38 AM

just get some of those pine air fresheners and hang them from your bars.That way you will always have that fresh pine scent wherever you go.LOL

• BergArabia

Posted May 04, 2007 - 10:11 AM

As usual gray racer is dead on with the stinky rotella oil. I use it and it stinks, no way around it. Stunk in my 02, 04 and now my 07. Great oil but literally stinks. I will just leave it at that. No oil debates please???:applause: :applause:

Interesting and very useful information to have.. :p

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2007 - 01:35 PM

... literally stinks. I will just leave it at that.

That's what they tell me, alright.

• 700MX

Posted May 05, 2007 - 09:06 AM

Are you a Rotella user?

I use yamalube, and change it every other ride. But yea, every time I pull in the pits, my bike stinks it up on the stand........I realise it should a little, but I get a small puddle out of the tube after every moto. Is there a seal that could be bad in the head spitting xtra oil out the tube????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2007 - 09:38 AM

No, not really. Over filling, overheating, clutch heat (like with a Rekluse), or excessive blow by from the compression rings could be the cause. Hard to say.

• 700MX

Posted May 05, 2007 - 11:20 AM

No, not really. Over filling, overheating, clutch heat (like with a Rekluse), or excessive blow by from the compression rings could be the cause. Hard to say.

Yea, I am pretty sure its not my rings......

Maybe I am overfilling it. when you check your oil hot, how long do you have before your upper oil drains down and gives you a inaccurate measure ment?

Do you literally check it seconds after you shut it off?? Last time i did that oil oozzed out of the dip stick hole. I am draining both sides, and putting in what the manual states.....maybe all the oil does not release out??????

Also, nothing seams to come out of the level check bolt.........do you check that hot or cold?????

THANKS

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2007 - 11:53 AM

You need to wait at least 30-60 seconds or oil will bubble up from the return circuit. If everything is working as it should, you'd have at least an hour before drain back affects the reading you get.

The overfill bolt should be checked hot, at the same time as you would check the dip stick.

• 700MX

Posted May 05, 2007 - 02:24 PM

You need to wait at least 30-60 seconds or oil will bubble up from the return circuit. If everything is working as it should, you'd have at least an hour before drain back affects the reading you get.

The overfill bolt should be checked hot, at the same time as you would check the dip stick.

Thanks.......

Have you noticed the factory Yamis dont have the black tube, wonder why.....weight???

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 05, 2007 - 04:53 PM

just get some of those pine air fresheners and hang them from your bars.That way you will always have that fresh pine scent wherever you go.LOL

Dude at least you made me laugh. I know it doesnt help to find answers to someones question, but a little humor every now and then does me good. :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Have you noticed the factory Yamis dont have the black tube, wonder why.....weight???

What black tube? The breather? Has to have one somewhere.

• bigred455

Posted May 05, 2007 - 06:11 PM

You need to check your oil as soon it is shut down,not after a hard run.Just let it idle a couple minutes then shut it down and check. The longer you wait,the oil level in the tank will drop and show a low level. My YZ250F smelled like oil and My 07 450 smells like oil,I use DELO 400 ,the smell is coming from the breather tube!

• 700MX

Posted May 05, 2007 - 06:22 PM

What black tube? The breather? Has to have one somewhere.

Yea, the breather.....reedy has it concealed...he does not have it wrapping down the frame

• 700MX

Posted May 05, 2007 - 06:24 PM

You need to check your oil as soon it is shut down,not after a hard run.Just let it idle a couple minutes then shut it down and check. The longer you wait,the oil level in the tank will drop and show a low level. My YZ250F smelled like oil and My 07 450 smells like oil,I use DELO 400 ,the smell is coming from the breather tube!

Thanks.......yea sometimes my bike smells like an 86' XR600 with ring problems.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.