XR650R vs. WR450F

31 replies to this topic
  • XRR-kat

Posted May 06, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Alex_400,
Try riding a "corked" stock XR650R.
It's the "uncorked" ones that are winning all the races.
:applause:

• Alex 400

Posted May 06, 2007 - 06:40 PM

Alex_400,
Try riding a "corked" stock XR650R.
It's the "uncorked" ones that are winning all the races.
:applause:

yeah, but i am sure it still made a lot of torque. If i ever want much more power from my bike beyond this pipe i think i would get the xr650 because of it's desert credibility and rediculous power and high speed suspension. I know its heavy but it will give an excuse to work out more. :applause:

• XR_mad

Posted May 06, 2007 - 06:48 PM

the manifold between the carby and airbox on a corked 650R is half the size it should be, the jets are smaller than what comes in a xr250, the stock 650r should be on life support its that choked up

• scott_01_xr400

Posted May 06, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Call me a sissy, I sold my XR600 to buy an XR400 with a pumper carb. I love the lighter weight of the XR400 and now have added a CRF250X to the stable also. Now I am looking for another XR600 or XR650 becuase I miss the honkin power so much.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted May 08, 2007 - 06:56 AM

I've also had both: a 2002 XR650R with stage 1 cam, Edelbrock carb, opened up side panel, header, pipe, cdi, etc and now ride a 2006 WR450. First, the speedo on the Wr is nice, but it's not worth $1,000. I had a Trailtech on the XR650R and I had 2 complaints - it wasn't backlit all the time (the one on the WR is), and the readings were slow. Here are my opinions: If you want to ride on the street the XR is the best choice. If you want to desert ride, the XR is also the best choice. If you do single track trail rides, the WR. As mentioned above, the WR does come with nice factory equipment: Renthal bars, pumper carb, Excel wheels, electronic speedo, and it costs very little money to get it to run right. The XR still has more aftermarket stuff available. With your size you'll probably want to get a tall seat. I has a Moose tall/soft seat and it made all the difference in the world. It sounds like the XR will fit your body better. With either bike you'll still want to have the suspecsion set up for your weight.

Performance wise, my XR screamed, but I did quite a few things to make it run like that. It was extremely reliable, and never let me down once. That being said, I'm also happy with the performance of my WR. I've done the "free mods", rejetted the carb, adjusted the accelerator pump, opened up the airbox, and installed the Pro Moto Billet exhaust tip. The performance is strong, and I think it runs well for a 450. I don't motocross, super moto, or anything like that. I trail ride, and when I'm lucky get to the desert with friends once or twice a year.

Which bike do I like more? It depends. The WR is a completely different bike to ride. When I trail ride and drop the bike on the side of a hill, I'd rather pick up the WR instead of the XR with a full 4.3 gallon tank in the heat of day.

• adam574

Posted May 08, 2007 - 05:51 PM

baja designs cable driven speedo is the way to go. has a trip reset and a unresetable one. goes right in place of the stock unit and has a light also. i had the trailtech ones and i hate doing the whole magnet on the wheel thing and crap like that. plus you pay for alot of options that you probably will never use.... do you need a computer to tell you when to clean your filter or change the oil?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRR-kat

Posted May 09, 2007 - 05:04 AM

I had both - BD Speedo & Trail Tech
The BD was small, needle oscilated back and forth and was good for a "range", like 45-50 not a speed. Good part was that it had an odometer and I almost kept it for that reason.
The TT shows speed and is what I use it for. Very accurate. For temp, the TT sensor would obstruct the coolant flow and we BRP riders are not fond of that; an analog temp stick would be better. I should connect the tach, though don't believe it will be that accurate. BTW, also use a Garmin 2630, soon to be replaced by a 276c which show speed and odo but are not permanent mounted.

My need for speedo was for a permanent mounted speedo/odo that would show total miles over life of machine and I'm now looking at bicycle computers for that purpose. I have several on my bicycles - all Cateye which are extremely durable (replaced battery in a 1984 and it worked!) - Mitey8 ($15, use on my ZTR mower & mtn bike); Astrale ($35, for road bike); Enduro8 ($30, mtn bike, heavier duty wire). But none of these had long enough cables for the long travel front forks. I'm now thinking a wireless Cateye might be the permanent speedo-odo solution. They are not illuminated so other illuminated speedo is still needed.

Sold the BD speedo; couldn't stand the wobbly needle.

• adam574

Posted May 10, 2007 - 06:29 AM

I had both - BD Speedo & Trail Tech
The BD was small, needle oscilated back and forth and was good for a "range", like 45-50 not a speed. Good part was that it had an odometer and I almost kept it for that reason.
The TT shows speed and is what I use it for. Very accurate. For temp, the TT sensor would obstruct the coolant flow and we BRP riders are not fond of that; an analog temp stick would be better. I should connect the tach, though don't believe it will be that accurate. BTW, also use a Garmin 2630, soon to be replaced by a 276c which show speed and odo but are not permanent mounted.

My need for speedo was for a permanent mounted speedo/odo that would show total miles over life of machine and I'm now looking at bicycle computers for that purpose. I have several on my bicycles - all Cateye which are extremely durable (replaced battery in a 1984 and it worked!) - Mitey8 ($15, use on my ZTR mower & mtn bike); Astrale ($35, for road bike); Enduro8 ($30, mtn bike, heavier duty wire). But none of these had long enough cables for the long travel front forks. I'm now thinking a wireless Cateye might be the permanent speedo-odo solution. They are not illuminated so other illuminated speedo is still needed.

Sold the BD speedo; couldn't stand the wobbly needle.

i understand what you mean about the wobbley needle but my doesn't do it until probably over 100. maybe your wheel was bent or the plastic thing worn out or something causing it to be way more wobbley then normal.

• wickedsprint

Posted May 14, 2007 - 04:47 AM

I just use a GPS for speed...also gives me tracks and obviously much more useful info. Even has a trip ODO :applause:

• pgiinc

Posted May 14, 2007 - 04:57 AM

buy the WR
lighter and starts easier
and you don't like Honda remeber

• Billahjack

Posted May 17, 2007 - 07:17 PM

I test rode a WR426F that I was thinking about buying. They are really light and have about the same power as a XR650R uncorked. The only difference is that the torque of the 650R keeps chugging to get higher top speed.

The 426F was a pain to start. You need a boot for this thing unless you are really careful with tennis shoes. The 426 is as hard to kick as a CR500.

Here is the best part. I took it for a spin and it seemed pretty quick. Then I turned it over to my buddy and he seized the motor or tranny. We only rode it less than 1 mile. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Ride Red!

• Supplicate

Posted May 18, 2007 - 11:26 AM

Get both :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.