XR650R vs. WR450F

31 replies to this topic
  • ronbum77

Posted May 03, 2007 - 05:58 PM

OK, I am getting back into dirt bikes after a 6 year break. I already have a bike for the street (06'Triumph 675) and its wonderful. But on some recent rides, I have found that I miss the satisfaction that dirtbikes gave me, and I want to get back into riding dirt. BUT there is no place to ride around here, everything has gotten posted over the past few years, so I will be converting this bike to super-moto, and maybe converting it back every now and then to do some trail riding/joy riding. I have narrowed my selection down to two bikes, the XR650r and the WR450F. I can get the 650 $5200 plus tags, and the WR $6200 plus tags... I would much rather have the yamaha though because im a bit biased to yamaha, and I love the fact that it has the cool speedo/computer. I am 6'1'' 275 (I also play college football, that explains the weight, and im not fatty just for the record, very athletic for my size) and I was wondering how the xr and wr compared in size and power? Which one would be better suited for a larger rider? How do these bikes compare heads up? Any problems converting these to supermoto (besides getting registration for the street, I already know its a pain in the dick)?Any feedback is greatly appritiated, thanks in advance.

• cr2fidy

Posted May 03, 2007 - 06:22 PM

based on your size alone i would go for the xr650r, being a bigger guy the 650 would handle your weight a little easier. plus reliability on the xr is worth it alone. heads up i think the xr would out perform the wr in every situation besides possibly the tightest trails.

• clreede

Posted May 03, 2007 - 08:52 PM

The XR650r is a great bike for a tall guy , I'm 6'4", 225lbs. I know you will be way happier with the 650 over the yammy. Once you get the HRC kit installed, you have a fire breather with a suspension like a trophy truck. For a guy your size, there is only one dirt bike, and that's the XR650.

• nate992v

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:00 PM

I can relate. I'm 6'4" and 265. If you're going to be on the street with it, go with the XR. The weight of the bike isn't going to be an issue for you to move around the tight stuff. Just ditch the stock bars and get a taller bend.

• wickedsprint

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:25 PM

I was wondering how the xr and wr compared in size and power? How do these bikes compare heads up?

I own an XR650R and have raced a WR450 from a standstill and a 20mph roll, not even a contest. I had several car lengths on him by just 70mph in both races. The WR450 is mildly quicker than a 250 two stroke for reference. I imagine in the tight stuff the WR450 will be a lot quicker. Deciding between those two bikes is a tough call, while the yamaha is about a grand more(seems rarer to see yamahas going at a discount vs. the 650R), it does come factory with excel wheels stronger hubs and a nicer carb. Price being equal, I would likely go for the WR450 if I had to do it over.

• cleonard

Posted May 03, 2007 - 10:41 PM

Do a little research on plating a bike in your state. If it is not possible you may want to take a look at the Husky's and KTM's that are plateable in every state. Do some searches in the dual sport forum or ask if you can't find it.

• Thumpmeister

Posted May 04, 2007 - 01:33 AM

I was in the same dilemma not too long ago...

I had a WR 400 for about 3 mothes before I got my brp. During the 3 monthes, I went through 3 sets of fork seals. Thats what made me sell it. Plain and simple, the WR was designed for 165-180 lb rider; certainly not for anyone over 220.

I'm 6'2", and about 265-270, and am a college weightlifter/bodybuilder. Got the body comp done last week, and sit around 14%. After riding both bikes, I'm not leaving my brp. The weight of the bike isn't an issue for me, as it shouldn't be for you either. So, you get more power, more torque, and bike that is built towards a heavier guy.

Go for the 650...

• Billahjack

Posted May 04, 2007 - 06:38 AM

Good input. Either bike, you will need to get new springs/valves for your suspension if you want it to perform well. I wonder what the WR450F forum is saying on this?

• ronbum77

Posted May 04, 2007 - 08:11 AM

Does anybody have a speedo on their xr650r? This hard to do? Because right now im leaning towards the XR650, but the WRF's trick computer is just so damn sweet!

• XRR-kat

Posted May 04, 2007 - 08:48 AM

ronbum,
Get a Trail Tech Vapor with the mount kit and you won't have electronics envy.

I'm still sorting my TT Vapor out but it works good and when the comp died after a few months (??!!) tech support diagnosed it as bad sensor wire. Sent me a replacement free and lighted right up.

You guys are making me feel svelte at 224 (and trying to go down) .... I used to be 6'-0"....

Folks ask me why I got an XR650R and I have to ask myself that as well since the bikes in my youth were 250 two-strokes. Well, I weigh 50lbs more than in my youth and always wanted more power from the DT-1. Now when I look for more power, actually longer legs-gearing, I just uncork it a little more. Stock BRP corked was good beginner, relearning bike at about 30hp; uncorked and regeared to 14/45, 35-40hp, was a decent road and light off-road bike; phase III E-brock, Mori exhaust, 45-50hp should keep me happy for a little longer.

Forget the HRC kit. You can mod the XRR for more hp without sacrificing any reliability. If you want serious hp, then check out Bruce Borynack's 680 !!!

Where do you want to go???
The bike is customizable for whatever you want; but there's no initial savings over the WR...you are immediately going to spend the diff on mods like a Utah Sports bash plate; Edelbrock pumper carb; taller handlebars; stiffer springs and shocks (Eibach); TT Vapor; DS tires (D606s, K760s); dual sport kit to plate (I have Baja Designs kit, but now plan to replace with a homebrew to lighten the front); Ricky Stator (200w stator)..... knowwhatImean :applause: :applause: :p
Enjoy, whatever you get.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted May 04, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Does anybody have a speedo on their xr650r? This hard to do? Because right now im leaning towards the XR650, but the WRF's trick computer is just so damn sweet!

Ya know, if your LUCKY... You might be able to come across one of those trick little enduro computers Honda put on the early xr600's. They're not cheap, and tough to find, but you can use your factory speedo drive cable with them, and they are awesome!

Although, if you can get a late-80's speedo of off ANY Honda XR, those are cool too. They have a little speedo, and an odo right next to each other. I think BD sells them too, but they're not cheap. I snagged one off a parts XR250 I had at one point. They're not digital, but still pretty slick.

• wickedsprint

Posted May 04, 2007 - 12:30 PM

Just mount a GPS.

• Billahjack

Posted May 04, 2007 - 01:24 PM

TrailTech Vapor is cool though. You get accurate Speed, RPM, Engine Temp, Inaccurate ambient temp, distance, time, and good Backlighting.

I also have a GPS for navigation but it sucks to read the little box for speed. The backlighting turns off quick too. It does confirm that my trailtech speedo is within 1-2MPH up to 100. I didn't even have to adjust the trailtech.

• xr650rkyle

Posted May 05, 2007 - 08:51 AM

Trail tech endurance $75 Internet
Install it all in about 2 hours..
Works great!:applause:

• dezracerE

Posted May 05, 2007 - 09:03 AM

Discounting the weight, depends on what terrain you ride. Being from Penn, I dont think you will see much wide open desert like we have here in sunny so-cal (but shrinking by the day). On the tight stuff- no question the Wr will way out handle the XR, but open that throttle on the XR, click 5th- and demoralize the guys on the 450's. (uncorking required).
My $.01- XR for your size and reliability factor. Taming the beast is another thing. Search the threads for the mods. You will need to uncork, respring and footpeg mod (safety factor- especially for your size)
Oh by the way- I am not biased- dont look at my avatar.

• davidarnott

Posted May 05, 2007 - 04:22 PM

I only weigh 160 compared to you beefy fellows but I gotta get in on this the XR650R is just such a blast to ride not the least of which is the sound of the sucker which thrills to the bone then there is the torque of which this beast is KING this is the greatest dirt and gravel road machine ever made. Havent ridden a WR450 and I bet its a fine machine but I can tell you this Xr650R is addictive to ride you just want some more and their owners are a bunch of drooling zealots. Can you tell I spent three hours in the rocky mountains astride my RED ROOSTER today?!!!

• clreede

Posted May 05, 2007 - 04:52 PM

Forget the HRC kit. You can mod the XRR for more hp without sacrificing any reliability. If you want serious hp, then check out Bruce Borynack's 680 !!!

I'm sorry, but I trust Honda's engineers a great deal more than the guys that design the bigger pistons. I have a friend that has raced the Baja 2000, and three baja 500's as well as every local race he could make for the last 5 years with his XR650r that has the HRC kit, and his bike runs like a dream on the original motor with no rebuild. I have a 2001 with the HRC kit, and she runs great, I went about 50miles on some gnarley terrain today, and I know she will do the same tomorrow.
The HRC kit is the best choice as far as I'm concerned, it comes with new clutch springs, a new cam chain, and all of those little things that other kits leave out. If you are going to knock the HRC kit, don't say anything about a change in reliability.

That's my opinion anyway, and I won't be an engineer for another year, so do with that what you will.

• highmark1

Posted May 06, 2007 - 01:47 PM

I've had both. I am 6'2" and 265lbs. the XRR rode better on the street and in the wide open. Didn't feel buzzy like the WR 450. The 650 works you a little in the tight stuff but it isn't bad. Came time to sell and whatever went first went. I am glad to say the 650 still sits in the garage. Had the suspension revalved for me, Already had the springs since new. What a difference. Worth the money you will spend on having it redone. Front wheel went the first year and replaced it with an excel, much better front for a big guy. Powerwise its good, White Bros R4 pipe,Stock with a tip is just the same just doesn't look as good,Edelbrock carb and opened up airfilter and intake. I think you will be happier with the 650, Good Luck

• Alex 400

Posted May 06, 2007 - 01:52 PM

ronbum,
Get a Trail Tech Vapor with the mount kit and you won't have electronics envy.

I'm still sorting my TT Vapor out but it works good and when the comp died after a few months (??!!) tech support diagnosed it as bad sensor wire. Sent me a replacement free and lighted right up.

You guys are making me feel svelte at 224 (and trying to go down) .... I used to be 6'-0"....

Folks ask me why I got an XR650R and I have to ask myself that as well since the bikes in my youth were 250 two-strokes. Well, I weigh 50lbs more than in my youth and always wanted more power from the DT-1. Now when I look for more power, actually longer legs-gearing, I just uncork it a little more. Stock BRP corked was good beginner, relearning bike at about 30hp; uncorked and regeared to 14/45, 35-40hp, was a decent road and light off-road bike; phase III E-brock, Mori exhaust, 45-50hp should keep me happy for a little longer.

Where do you want to go???
The bike is customizable for whatever you want; but there's no initial savings over the WR...you are immediately going to spend the diff on mods like a Utah Sports bash plate; Edelbrock pumper carb; taller handlebars; stiffer springs and shocks (Eibach); TT Vapor; DS tires (D606s, K760s); dual sport kit to plate (I have Baja Designs kit, but now plan to replace with a homebrew to lighten the front); Ricky Stator (200w stator)..... knowwhatImean :applause: :applause: :p
Enjoy, whatever you get.

The xr650 only makes 30 horsepower stock?! That can't be right, can it? the xr400 has about that corked up and with a pipe and jets it at about 37. I thought it made more power than that. :p

• gringo1450

Posted May 06, 2007 - 02:29 PM

I have the trail tech vapor it has more functions than you can use and is less than $100

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.