XR650r vs. WR450F

20 replies to this topic
  • ronbum77

Posted May 03, 2007 - 05:46 PM

OK, I am getting back into dirt bikes after a 6 year break. I already have a bike for the street (06'Triumph 675) and its wonderful. But on some recent rides, I have found that I miss the satisfaction that dirtbikes gave me, and I want to get back into riding dirt. BUT there is no place to ride around here, everything has gotten posted over the past few years, so I will be converting this bike to super-moto, and maybe converting it back every now and then to do some trail riding/joy riding. I have narrowed my selection down to two bikes, the XR650r and the WR450F. I can get the 650 $5200 plus tags, and the WR $6200 plus tags... I would much rather have the yamaha though because im a bit biased to yamaha, and I love the fact that it has the cool speedo/computer. I am 6'1'' 275 (I also play college football, that explains the weight, and im not fatty just for the record, very athletic for my size) and I was wondering how the xr and wr compared in size and power? Which one would be better suited for a larger rider? How do these bikes compare heads up? Any problems converting these to supermoto (besides getting registration for the street, I already know its a pain in the dick)?Any feedback is greatly appritiated, thanks in advance. :applause:

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 03, 2007 - 05:53 PM

Both bikes make decent dual sports

Both bikes have a huge aftermarket

Both bikes can be easily converted to sm ($ pending)

What it comes down to is how you're gonna use the bike off road. If you're doing tight single track/technical stuff or track get the WR. If you're doing wide open fireroads/desert riding get the XR.

• dmoney1074

Posted May 03, 2007 - 05:54 PM

For your size, the xr will move you better.... The xr is a little better maintinance wise, but the wr's have been known to be very reliable. If you want to do ANY track days, the wr is a better choice, but for the street, you cant beat the xr. I ride a wr myself, just so you know...

• 2000 xr650r

Posted May 03, 2007 - 06:01 PM

I also like yamahas but I own a xr650r because it is better at what I do. If you are supermoto racing i would go with the wr450f for sure. Although if you are going to put many miles on the bike or go on rides of any long lenghts the xr wins hands down. Also in my opinion the xr650r makes better "streetbike" because of the taller gear ratios, more tourqe, possibly more longevity, and because it is heavier it handles better in rain, wind, ect.
They are both great bikes in my opinion. As far as a drag race, its very equal until topend were the xr overtakes the wr.

• snaggletooth

Posted May 03, 2007 - 06:55 PM

I have both bikes also. If you were just going to dual sport it for mostly dirt ridding go for the WR. It's an awsome bike and will smoke my XR in all but the wide open stuff and I mean veeery wide open stuff.

Since you metioned throwing street tires on it (super-moto) and putting on knobies for an ocasional trail ride go for the XR.

I'm a very short guy (506/507) and have been ridding super tight single track stuff with the big XR for years. It's no the best bike for hard corps single track but it kept me smilling for years!

XR for fast street ridding (super-moto) and the ocasional desert / fire road blast.

WR for fast every thing else plus!

• ronbum77

Posted May 03, 2007 - 07:15 PM

Well thanks you guys for the replies, but YOU just might have made my decision harder! I have my Triumph for the longer rides (over 50 miles) so my dual-sport/supermoto bike would NEVER see any more miles that 50 at a time. I do like to rip more than your average street rider, and I love moto cross and jumping, the XR i dont think was made for that... The WRF is bred from the YZF and I know its capable of anything I can throw at it. But no matter which way i go, i'll enjoy my new bike.

• NavyNuke

Posted May 03, 2007 - 08:37 PM

sounds like you need the WR. coming from someone with an 01 XR650R and an 06WR450 the WR FEELS faster. also handles infinatly better. But for long rides the XR does me right. week before last was a 700 mile 3 day trip.

• xrmarty

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:39 PM

My best friend has the Xr650. It is a very reliable bike, but that's about it. In comparison to the WR, the XR's suspension is absolutely horrible. The bike handles in tight stuff like a freakin pig, and OMG, god forbid you have to pick it up after a spill!!! That thing feels like it's 700lbs. Dude, just get the WR, any year, and you will be happy. The WR when uncorked has way more power the 1996 technology XR. I'm serious, the XR 650 or the 400 for that matter has not changed in over a decade ( do a search if you don't believe me). Literally! The WR is a 21st century bike capable of on and off road riding. It feels like a feather compairing to the XR. Just my $.02

• Chopp

Posted May 04, 2007 - 01:41 PM

I think he may be comparing the XR650R not the XR650L. I doubt an uncorked WR450 has more power then an uncorked XR650R.

• NavyNuke

Posted May 04, 2007 - 06:35 PM

I have a 650R, and a WR450, not a 650L.
Posted Image

and

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rheynard

Posted May 04, 2007 - 07:10 PM

I ride my wr450 with honda 650 guys, now are they xl's or xr's. They have reg forks, not upside down type. My 07 rips past them easy, stock gearing is easy in tight and top speed is 86mph. We traded rides for awhile and OMG I thought that 650 wanted to tip over compared to my near gyro-scoped wr450. Sooo much lighter feeling.

• sts475

Posted May 05, 2007 - 06:21 AM

One thing everyone should consider is that the XR has won Baja umpteen times now and doesn't look to be spanked any time soon. It can be made to be awesome with a little suspension work and some aftermarket parts to dump weight. There is even an electric start kit out for it now. At 275, you would be smashing the WR and it is alot smaller in configuration than the XR. The Husky 610 has what the XR lacks and even though mine has had major quality control problems, there are many people that rave about them. It runs great and is a torque monster ! Living in Pa you would be close to Ferracci if you had any problems.

Good Luck !

Go Riding !

STS.

ps. The 07 WR450 is the funnest bike I have ridden in a long time !

• MountainMax

Posted May 05, 2007 - 08:40 AM

Two of my buddies have 05 XR650's and they are stock, my wr is uncorked and i can beat him in a drag race, on pavement (so traction is even) right up till i max out at about 146km/h, however this year his in uncorked and we will try it again, im sure he may new get the edge on me, still not bad for a 450 though, and after riding his bike it feels way more sluggish then mine, not near the throttle response or the quick revving power, or the better suspension i have, they still have the old style forks (not inverted) .

IMHO i would say WR all the way baby.

Posted Image

• Chopp

Posted May 05, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Not surprising you beat a corked up XR650R. I was pretty dissapointed in my XRR until I uncorked it. Night and day difference. Now this thing rips like mad.

• MountainMax

Posted May 05, 2007 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, i figured it would make a big difference from a 125 to a 175 main jet, i was so suprised to see such a large difference in the jetting, and with more air, it MUST make gobs more HP also, my buddy said his wheelies much easier now, and we will try the drag race again soon to see how it fairs up, wish me luck, lol

• sts475

Posted May 06, 2007 - 09:00 AM

Who was that Yamaha WR450 rider that spanked Honda in Baja ? I missed that part of the race.... Friends of mine raced a 450 Yamaha in the Baja 500 and the motor locked up at about the 110 mile mark. The Yamaha is good, but not that good. This comparison really doesn't make sense. The bikes really aren't in the same class. Try spanking a 525 KTM for something to do. I've never been passed by anyone on a Yamaha on mine. I love my Yamaha and it is fast, but it still has limitations. The greatest thing about it is that it is alot of fun to ride !!! As long as it is, it doesn't matter how fast it goes !

Good Luck !

Go Riding !

STS.

Two of my buddies have 05 XR650's and they are stock, my wr is uncorked and i can beat him in a drag race, on pavement (so traction is even) right up till i max out at about 146km/h, however this year his in uncorked and we will try it again, im sure he may new get the edge on me, still not bad for a 450 though, and after riding his bike it feels way more sluggish then mine, not near the throttle response or the quick revving power, or the better suspension i have, they still have the old style forks (not inverted) .

IMHO i would say WR all the way baby.

Posted Image

• Billahjack

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:34 AM

I'm thinking of picking up a 02 WR426F. I believe it is uncorked and has a pipe. Other than that, its probably stock. Right now I have a XR650R with an HRC cam and High-flow Moriwaki pipe. The 650R also has ESP suspension. Its a great bike but gets heavy to pick up when I'm on difficult (nasty) rides. BTW, I am 5'10" and weigh under 180 with moto gear.

Do you think I will be disappointed with the WR426F power? I ride desert and nasty trails with hill climbs. Both bikes are dual sport/street legal.

What is the real weight of a stock WR426F (3.2 Gallon tank stock)? My 650R is about 325lbs fully fueled with a 4.6 gallon tank and all my dual sport junk.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 16, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Food for thought: kick starting an XR650R is a pain in the ass. Compared to my WR400, it just doesn't make sense how the kickstart is set up.

• Billahjack

Posted May 16, 2007 - 03:02 PM

Kickstarting the XR650R is not an issue. It is jetted properly and starts 2nd kick usually when cold, warm, or flooded if I clear it out right. I was wondering more about riding feel and power. BTW my XR650R hits the rev limiter at 104MPH (GPS Verified) with stock gearing.

Also, is there much difference in power between a 450f and a 426F if they both have comparable pipes and are uncorked?

Thanks!

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 16, 2007 - 04:27 PM

Kickstarting the XR650R is not an issue...

My experience and several of my experienced-rider XR650R owner friends differ. (And I was answering ronbum77's question.)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.