YZ450F backfire

7 replies to this topic
  • MX997

Posted May 03, 2007 - 03:15 PM

I have a 2004 YZ450F that constantly backfires as soon as you let off the throttle. Any way to fix this? I've cleaned the carburetor. What's next??:applause:

• Ranger18

Posted May 03, 2007 - 03:36 PM

We need more info...
Has it always done this?
whats your current jetting?
Does it start easiely?
Ext.

• Maximus83

Posted May 03, 2007 - 03:54 PM

My '05 backfires all the time when the engine is working, ie engine breaking down a hill etc. It intensified when I put on my header and pipe but the bike runs great. I think some minor back firing when you let off after high RPM's is normal. right???

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2007 - 03:56 PM

http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599
http://www.thumperta...613#post3350613

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MX997

Posted May 03, 2007 - 04:06 PM

When I got the bike new, there was no problem. It just started doing this. It also does not idle. I have not messed with anything. The entire bike is stock. I have cleaned the carburetor a few times because I have let the bike sit for log periods of time in between riding.

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2007 - 04:10 PM

If nothing that might influence this has changed, like the weather, the exhaust system, etc., and nothing in the two posts I just linked applies, and it just suddenly started, a possibility that may not have been mentioned is that the hot start plunger may not be seating completely when it's closed.

• MX997

Posted May 04, 2007 - 06:36 AM

If nothing that might influence this has changed, like the weather, the exhaust system, etc., and nothing in the two posts I just linked applies, and it just suddenly started, a possibility that may not have been mentioned is that the hot start plunger may not be seating completely when it's closed.

This is a good point. About 6 months ago when I was cleaning the carburetor, I noticed that the plastic nut to the hot start cable where it screws into the cabr was cracked. Maybe upon tightening the screw, I tightened it too much and made it crack. Last week, I just replaced the hot start cable with a new plastic screw. How would I know if the plunger is seated properly?

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2007 - 01:31 PM

With the engine running, the hot start should make a distinct difference in the way the engine runs. This is especially true with the choke on, when it will work as if it were a thumb throttle (except that it will have only two speeds). If you can't tell if it's opening and closing, it's probably not doing one or the other.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.