Clutch Arm Seal leaks on a XL600, need a rack too...

3 replies to this topic
  • ofarrellfitz

Posted May 02, 2007 - 09:06 PM

I know there is a very similar thread, but I apologize, I'm a newbie... couldn't get the arm out, after detaching the cable. It's a 1983 XL600R I know it's same mechanism as almost all the other XR's out there, so I'm posting here. I have the seal, I just need to get the arm out.

Do I have to unspring the spring on the arm? Does it have to be in gear? I really wrestled with it to no avail. I had an XR500, and thought I didn't need to take the whole crankcase cover off... I don't, do I?

Also, what things should I do to this bike... it's a 1983 Honda, 14000 mi., completely stock, really really cherry. You can see your reflection in the glossy red tank. Been garaged and has sat around for awhile recently. I live in San Francisco, so I have to have all the XL crap to just get out of the city to start playing. I want to keep it stock looking, but improve what I can that typically wears out easily. I'm beginning, so I'm getting a manual ASAP. Thanks in advance everyone...

• plodder

Posted May 03, 2007 - 02:53 PM

Do a search on the site for XL600 and read what has been said already.

I also need a rack for my 1983 XL600R If you learn of anything that is good and cheap, please keep me in mind.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted May 04, 2007 - 01:19 AM

I got a rack for FREE for my 83... :applause:

• ofarrellfitz

Posted May 04, 2007 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Plodder--

I had read for a couple days before I posted. There is an answer that is very simplistic...

detach cable, turn arm 1/2 turn and pull up and out. I thought this was the procedure, as I had a bike very similar about 6 years ago.

I still haven't been able to get it loose, but I know there is someone on this site than can tell me...

As for a rack, they are nearly impossible to find aftermarket now. The best thing is to fabricate one of your own. I am going to work on that in the near future and will post any ideas/ innovations on this thread.

Any major issues /heads-up you can give me for maintenance on this beast? I bought it super cheap (for the bay area) and they're damn near unkillable, in my opinion.

Cheers

Thumpmeister-- any chance you can read a brand off of that rack, or is it written in caveman?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.