Baja 500 Gearing question

7 replies to this topic
  • sjwr450

Posted May 02, 2007 - 06:19 PM

Hope that grabs someones attention. I saw a thread on here where everyone posted their top speed. Not sure if they were all real but anyway..

My 07 Wr450 is the race bike (5x) for the 500 this year. It has about every mod you can think of. It does have exhaust changes, Powerbomb (stock pipe is tiny and I don't want to here about the torque), Titanium Q. The head is out being ported at Pro-circuit. In my 05 I have the same changes plus a 470 kit. The 05 has 55 Baja hours on it. The 05 also runs 15/50 gearing and can pull up close to 100 on the odo. I'm not saying it's the best combination. The 07 has 14/49 on it. The 4-5 gear gap seems a little large on it. So I'm considering trying a 51 rear next week when I'm testing. Last time there I saw 91. Not sure it would have pulled more. So the question is gear it so it has more power, or try to get more power from the bike to pull it (maybe YZ cams, but I'm reluctant to make it wilder for a long ride). I really only need about 95. Thoughts???

BTW the jetting is spot on.

Thanks

• Rick1141

Posted May 03, 2007 - 03:58 AM

YZ motor with WR tranny

• DJWALS

Posted May 03, 2007 - 08:01 AM

Hey Bud, I have some great advice and think i can help. I heard it's going to be very tight and technical... so lighten up the bike, run stock tubes, or even trials tires, stabilizer not needed, run 2-3 pounds of air pressure, oh.. gearing? top speed of this race will be around 25-30mph., so maybe run like a 12 counter and a 63 rear... great for slow speed wheelies... oh and of course be patient in the race ,, just cruise, oh more great advice.. let only Green bikes pass... hold up all red, yellow and Orange bikes ...especially 7X
I'm safe to give great advice like this becuase i am not starting.. Haha...
Good luck and see you down south..
D.W. 6x

• sjwr450

Posted May 03, 2007 - 04:00 PM

Very funny. I'm 5x!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonova

Posted May 04, 2007 - 11:59 AM

Put a set of hot cams in the bike and you won't have any problems with the gearing you have right now. 95mph should be just fine.

I would put money that Sal runs up Simpsons rather than down it. And it will probably go up into the pineforest before dropping into Ojos. I won't say how I know but I'm almost 100% sure. Who knows maybe we will get lucky and get some new course. Doubt it though.

Good luck! 5x and 6x

• orthosdream

Posted May 19, 2007 - 11:36 AM

I am so tired of hearing how fast my buddiy's gay CRFs are. Finally some real men and real race bikes in Baja! I heard recently after a few drinks in Hussongs that Cambell, Hengeval, and the whole red lot are actually an Al queda sleeper cell or they prefer quads or was it they wear pink thongs under their gear???
Best of luck on a safe and Honda a#$%ss kicking race. Ill offer you a cold Tecate at the finish.
Yost Racing

• sjwr450

Posted May 24, 2007 - 02:10 PM

Thanks buddy.

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted May 26, 2007 - 08:01 AM

I would put money that Sal runs up Simpsons rather than down it. And it will probably go up into the pineforest before dropping into Ojos. I won't say how I know but I'm almost 100% sure. Who knows maybe we will get lucky and get some new course.

Ouch. Apparently your source for info is beyond bogus. Hopefully you didn't put any money on it.
As most people should know by now, a bike with a top speed of 75 could get into the top 5 OA this year. This course has nothing to do with top speed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.