Jetting dilemma 06

4 replies to this topic
  • LoneRanger171

Posted May 02, 2007 - 03:57 PM

I have an 06 450SE and have a hopefully simple question to ask. The bike jetting has been set to the standard fix (45 pilot, 165 main) and the bike starts fairly easy and runs great thru the gears. The thing that I have had a problem with is over certain low speed jumps and when rolling over this section of a steep double/double at a track I go to the bike sometimes stalls with even the clutch pulled in. I have fooled around with the fuel screw and the idle seems fine too. Any other suggestions? Thanks. FYI - I just changed the spark plug and haven't tried it out yet but I belive the other one was OK since the bike started easily.

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2007 - 03:59 PM

Check the float level first, then try removing the one way check in the fuel cap vent line.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LoneRanger171

Posted May 02, 2007 - 04:55 PM

Makes sense Gray - The bike sometimes has a higher idle when at a dead stop with the clutch pulled in and then can stall at a roll over with the clutch in. This sort sounds likes the float level could be off. Any quick tips on measuing the float level? Do I need any special measurement device? Best way to take the carb off the bike? Thanks Gray!

• twenty34

Posted May 02, 2007 - 05:03 PM

I have an 06 450SE and have a hopefully simple question to ask. The bike jetting has been set to the standard fix (45 pilot, 165 main) and the bike starts fairly easy and runs great thru the gears. The thing that I have had a problem with is over certain low speed jumps and when rolling over this section of a steep double/double at a track I go to the bike sometimes stalls with even the clutch pulled in. I have fooled around with the fuel screw and the idle seems fine too. Any other suggestions? Thanks. FYI - I just changed the spark plug and haven't tried it out yet but I belive the other one was OK since the bike started easily.

Couple of thoughts:

-for starters, a 48PJ is almost a must
-stock MJ should work, but I've had solid performance with a 168. Again, the PJ is key on this bike. 45 may be fine, but many are happy with a 48.
-Sounds like you could have a small air leak. Check all your carb fittings, and also check the hot start nut that connects to the carb. Since this is a plastic fitting, it stips quite easily so either consider an aluminnum or just make sure it's fit is correct as air can sneak in.
-Make sure that your hot start cable is fully disengaged. Sometime it doesn't fully release back and you want to ensure there's play else you could be sucking in some air and this can effect your idle.
-I was gonna suggest turning up the idle a bit, but sounds like you've tried this already.

Hope this helps diagnose your problem.

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2007 - 08:15 PM

The bike sometimes has a higher idle when at a dead stop with the clutch pulled in and then can stall at a roll over with the clutch in. This sort sounds likes the float level could be off. Any quick tips on measuing the float level? Do I need any special measurement device? Best way to take the carb off the bike?

Hanging, or unstable, sometimes high idles are usually a symptom of a lean condition. This can be from any of the sources rickk cited, or a low float, or tight intake valves, and can also be a result of a mis-adjusted TPS.

Removing the carb is a procedure you will not enjoy, and you'll probably be happier if you manage the float bowl with the carb more or less in place. Since you've jetted it, you are familiar with rolling the carb over a ways by removing the upper engine mounts and loosening the clamps. Actually taking it off generally ends up with the sub frame and shock off the bike.

You don't need anything fancy to measure with, but the level needs to be taken at the point where the needle just touches the seat, not from where the float finally stops.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.