How to replace clutch hints/tips? 06 yz450, help quick please

2 replies to this topic
  • 4strokenewbee

Posted May 02, 2007 - 02:13 PM

Hey guys,

I havn't done a clutch in a loooong time.

Wondering if yall could give me any hints or tips on what to do and look for on a 06 yz450f. I have to do mine tonight and leave early morning to hit up a race.

Got all new springs, fibers and steels.

I guess what I am looking for a is quick step by step sort of deal with any tricks. Last clutch I did was a 02 yz125. Do you still want to soak the plates in oil etc..etc?

Sorry for coming off as a newb haha.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2007 - 04:09 PM

It's not really complicated to warrant all the angst, frankly.

Step 1> If you bought something other than OEM, GYT-R, or Hinson plates, take them back (that's just me, you can ignore it if you want).

Step 2> Take the old clutch out, and put the new clutch in.

If you run the engine long enough to purge the sump first, you won't loose a significant amount of oil, even if you work on it while it's upright.

Soaking the plates overnight won't hurt, but I've never done it. Dip them in a shallow plate of clean oil as you assemble them, and take it easy on them for 10 minutes, you'll be fine.

• 4strokenewbee

Posted May 03, 2007 - 07:30 AM

Angst? What do you mean?

Anywho I got it all buttoned up with no problems. I did go O.E.M as I heard of way too many problems with aftermarket clutches.

But yea it went exactly the same as my old yz, nice and easy. I just wasn't sure if there was something I should be doing different with the big thumper but yep, it was pretty easy!

I soaked the plates for about 15 minutes. Torqued the springs down to about 9 foot pounds and adjusted the slack and it seemed mucho better!

Thanks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.