Exhaust Valve adjustment. How do you get a screw driver in there?

8 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted May 02, 2007 - 10:33 AM

What's the trick? I can't get a straight shot at the screw on the exhaust valve.
Special tool?

• needsprayer

Posted May 02, 2007 - 10:51 AM

Options: Shorty screwdriver, offset screwdriver or one with a really long stem to give you a better angle

• Billahjack

Posted May 02, 2007 - 01:01 PM

You can back the screw out 1/4 turn or so from the set position and then snug the jam nut with your fingers. Now tighten the jam nut with a wrench or socket and the screw will turn with it. It might take a couple tries to get it. Make sure to double check your work. On the 650R, you want the .006 and .008 to fit but you also want to get the .007 and .009 feeler gages to go in with resistance. In other words, set the valves slight to the loose side.

• pigryder

Posted May 02, 2007 - 01:03 PM

I know this doesnt help you out now but I bought the motionpro tappet adjusters and it must have cut my valve adjustment times in half :applause:http://motionpro.com...appet_tool_set/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR4DEZ

Posted May 02, 2007 - 08:23 PM

I know this doesnt help you out now but I bought the motionpro tappet adjusters and it must have cut my valve adjustment times in half :applause:http://motionpro.com...appet_tool_set/

That's a nice tool but can you buy just the 10mm size?

• pigryder

Posted May 03, 2007 - 03:30 AM

That's a nice tool but can you buy just the 10mm size?

No you have to buy the set and I got it from the MAC tools man that comes to my work and it was actually cheaper than they're web site was

• DGXR

Posted May 04, 2007 - 07:19 AM

You can back the screw out 1/4 turn or so from the set position and then snug the jam nut with your fingers. Now tighten the jam nut with a wrench or socket and the screw will turn with it. It might take a couple tries to get it. Make sure to double check your work. On the 650R, you want the .006 and .008 to fit but you also want to get the .007 and .009 feeler gages to go in with resistance. In other words, set the valves slight to the loose side.

Billahjack is right, if access to the valve covers is tight, you can do the procedure this way with good results. I just remove the tank. It takes more time but it provides wide-open access so you can see everything easily and get the adjustment done properly. My $0.02

• HeadTrauma

Posted May 04, 2007 - 09:36 AM

What engine are we talking about?

• slowxr

Posted May 04, 2007 - 12:22 PM

XR650R.

The tips worked. I just loosened the bolt and turned the screw with my fingers. No problem.
thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.