Handlebar Cross Bar-Can I Lose It?

10 replies to this topic
  • Kawabuggy

Posted May 02, 2007 - 05:13 AM

I got a Trail Tech Vapor computer recently. I finally got around to installing it yesterday. Since I moved my bars quite a bit forward, the cross bar was basically covering the old odometer on my bike. I have Renthal bars and was able to remove the cross bar as it simply unbolts from the clamps.

My question is-will it compromise my safety, or the strength of the bars to run it without the cross-bar in place?

I have tried putting the cross bar in a different location, but because of how I swiveled the bars in the mounts, the cross bar will always be blocking my view of the computer.

• frankstr

Posted May 02, 2007 - 05:30 AM

That bar is there for a reason..:applause: I would not remove it...:applause:

• jbird710

Posted May 02, 2007 - 12:18 PM

If you remove the cross bar and go down, the handlebars will bend badly; probably have to be replaced.

• goblin127

Posted May 02, 2007 - 02:41 PM

For what ever its worth I removed mine the day I put the new bars on. I have not been down hard yet,but I have gone down and no bend yet.

• 4Takt

Posted May 02, 2007 - 03:30 PM

Get a Pro Taper, it has no cross bar.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawabuggy

Posted May 07, 2007 - 02:14 PM

I ended up making my own bracket that uses the lower right corner handlebar bolt to support the computer. In this manner, the computer is right in front of me.
Posted Image

I have already test driven the bike and the computer has stayed put. I have not hooked up all the connections yet, so I can't tell you if I can see it while driving. Still waiting for the proper temperature sending unit from Trail Tech. Once that gets here, I will have it up & running.

• nate992v

Posted May 08, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Which bend Renthals you have? The Carmichael hi or CR hi are plenty tall to clear a steering stabilizer, and they require 40mm minimum distance from handlebar to crossbar. Scotts used to sell some Renthals with a special crossbar to clear the steering stabilizer. Like frankstr said, they wouldn't have it there if it didn't serve a purpose.

• Mojave Monster

Posted May 08, 2007 - 08:29 PM

I removed the cross bar on my twin walls and replaced it with aluminum flat stock then mounted my GPS onto the flat stock. I contacted Renthal about it before hand and they said the twin walls are very strong BUT the cross bar makes them much stronger. Just my 2 cents worth but there is always more than one way to skin a cat, just adapt and over come!

• Kawabuggy

Posted May 09, 2007 - 05:56 AM

As you can see from the picture.. I left the cross bar in place. I simply changed the location that I was going to mount the computer.

In regards to what type of bars they are-I don't know! They were on the bike when I got it. I am wanting something that sits HIGHER than these bars. I have heard that the CR High Bend bars should raise the grips up more.. Unless these current bars are already high risers???????

Anyway, the cross bar is staying right where it is at. The pad on the other hand-TOAST! I need to get a new one. That thing is an eye-sore. Even worse, the padding inside is so old that it turns to dust when you touch it. I can't imagine that it would protect much if you banged into it.

• kellismechanic

Posted May 26, 2007 - 04:04 PM

I'd still get pro-taper bars

• clreede

Posted May 30, 2007 - 05:30 PM

I have the Pro Taper bars, and they are great. I also think it's easier to have a hand held GPS so you can use it somewhere other than on your bike, and you don't get the urge to look down while you are maching through the desert(best way I know to bend my bars). That's just my opinion

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  47 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.