brand new wr450?'s

9 replies to this topic
  • Super Dude

Posted May 01, 2007 - 06:36 PM

I now ride a 04 yz450 and have been thinking about getting a new wr450 or a crf450x. What are your thoughts on the wr vs the x. Also what would i need to do to the wr to make it a great bike. Thanks'
SD

Looking for honest replies here.

• patrickincc

Posted May 01, 2007 - 08:23 PM

I got my 07 wr 450 two weeks ago. I removed the ais and installed the gytr kit. I also got the FMF Q 4 silencer, it was well worth it and runs like a champ. The total price for the bike otd was 6599.00 and I put another 400 in it. Go for it and you wont be sorry.

• xrmarty

Posted May 02, 2007 - 08:40 AM

The crf450x have been known to blow trannies, especially the 3rd gear. The 07 wr's have now aluminum frame, which looks really nice but makes access to the carb a real pain. 2006 WR's are great, state of the art bikes and can be had, if you can find one, for a lot less money. A dealer where I bought my 07 was selling (maybe still is) an 06 450 for $5199!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 02, 2007 - 10:58 AM

I have the wr450 and its great. The 05/05 wr's are great bikes.

I ride with a couple of guys who both have crf450x's. Their bikes are great as well ad they have never had a problem. You really can't go wrong with either one.

But why would you be looking to change to a heavier bike? The only complaint (if any) that I would have about my wr450 is that it gets heavy after you've been riding it a while.

I race in Enduro's and just started desert racing. You work 50 times harder in those than you do on the roughest play ride. So it get's really, really heavy after a while.

What type of riding do you do where the wr would be prefered over the yz?

• old man dan

Posted May 02, 2007 - 11:04 AM

I have an 05 wr and the guy I ride with most of the time has an 07 crfx and I have to admit that the x feels more "flickable" in the singletrack. You can't go wrong either way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TheBlackSheep

Posted May 02, 2007 - 11:44 AM

I have the wr450 and its great. The 05/05 wr's are great bikes.

I ride with a couple of guys who both have crf450x's. Their bikes are great as well ad they have never had a problem. You really can't go wrong with either one.

But why would you be looking to change to a heavier bike? The only complaint (if any) that I would have about my wr450 is that it gets heavy after you've been riding it a while.

I race in Enduro's and just started desert racing. You work 50 times harder in those than you do on the roughest play ride. So it get's really, really heavy after a while.

Pay attention to what this guy says.............He's the real deal.:applause:.......Bahhh

• Super Dude

Posted May 02, 2007 - 03:14 PM

I ride zero tracks... mostly desert and gorman, rowher and drinkwater type places. One of the main reasons is for the green sticker!

• jams229

Posted May 02, 2007 - 04:27 PM

I had a 2005 CRF450X for 2 years. I now own a 2007 WR450.
There are definite pros and cons to both bikes.
Here are a few:

Honda Pros:
1) suspension (does well on the track and does really well in the higher speed off road applications where the Yamaha is too soft.)
2) starter - the Honda starter is lightyears ahead of the Yamaha's
3) steering radius - larger/better then the Yamaha's
4) carb access - far better/easier than the '07 Yammie's
5) rubber-mounted triple clamps - Yamaha's are not = more vibration to the hands...
6) bottom-end grunt - Honda has more of it
7) the Honda is practically ready to ride stock - the Yammie is not
8) ergos - roomier than the Yamaha's - better for me
9) seat - it is a great seat. The Yammie's seat is not.
10) aftermarket items available - most were ready within weeks after the bike was released. Not so with the Yamaha.

Yamaha Pros:
1) feels lighter than the Honda/ turns more quickly
2) suspension (softer than Honda and more compliant in the tight, technical
stuff.)
3) skidplate - not real durable, but better than nothing
4) eye candy: speedo, Excel wheels, Pro Taper bars, foot pegs,
5) transmission - should prove more durable than Honda's
(My transmission froze on me as well - 3rd gear to the countershaft)
6) valves - should last longer than Honda's - (my intake valves were cooked)
7) oil filter - easier to remove and replace

PUSH:

1) mufflers - both great/quiet
2) fuel capacity - both lame
3) double rim locks (on the Yammie) subjective
4) tires (Honda's front is terrible; Yammie's are just o.k.)

Hope this helps.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 02, 2007 - 04:52 PM

I ride zero tracks... mostly desert and gorman, rowher and drinkwater type places. One of the main reasons is for the green sticker!

That's the exact reason I ended up with my 2005. At the time, I really wanted the wr250, but it was red sticker. The 2005 wr450 was green. I was a little scared of the honda because of the complaints.

so I ended up with the wr450, which was too much (and still might be)

Green stickers are a big, big issue for us all here in Cali so I understand where you are coming from.

• JoeC

Posted May 02, 2007 - 04:53 PM

I had a 2005 CRF450X for 2 years. I now own a 2007 WR450.
There are definite pros and cons to both bikes.
Here are a few:

Honda Pros:
1) suspension (does well on the track and does really well in the higher speed off road applications where the Yamaha is too soft.)
2) starter - the Honda starter is lightyears ahead of the Yamaha's
3) steering radius - larger/better then the Yamaha's
4) carb access - far better/easier than the '07 Yammie's
5) rubber-mounted triple clamps - Yamaha's are not = more vibration to the hands...
6) bottom-end grunt - Honda has more of it
7) the Honda is practically ready to ride stock - the Yammie is not
8) ergos - roomier than the Yamaha's - better for me
9) seat - it is a great seat. The Yammie's seat is not.
10) aftermarket items available - most were ready within weeks after the bike was released. Not so with the Yamaha.

Yamaha Pros:
1) feels lighter than the Honda/ turns more quickly
2) suspension (softer than Honda and more compliant in the tight, technical
stuff.)
3) skidplate - not real durable, but better than nothing
4) eye candy: speedo, Excel wheels, Pro Taper bars, foot pegs,
5) transmission - should prove more durable than Honda's
(My transmission froze on me as well - 3rd gear to the countershaft)
6) valves - should last longer than Honda's - (my intake valves were cooked)
7) oil filter - easier to remove and replace

PUSH:

1) mufflers - both great/quiet
2) fuel capacity - both lame
3) double rim locks (on the Yammie) subjective
4) tires (Honda's front is terrible; Yammie's are just o.k.)

Hope this helps.

:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.