reliability

43 replies to this topic
  • ridefaster

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:30 PM

hey guys, im going to post this in the other 450 forums and i was hoping to get the most honest answers without everyone saying there bike is the best. i know that all the newer 450s are animals therefore, i want to know what your opinion is for the most reliable one. i do top notch service, oil changes every 5 hours with filter, clean air filter every ride, clean and lube chain, pressure wash bike every ride. and were im going with this is, ive had terrible, terrible, terrible luck with my 04 crf450r. i have constant motor problems with it and im a real rookie on dirtbikes and dont race it or beat on it. which bike is the most reliable, honda, kawi, suzuki, yamaha?

• moto867

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Your answer will vary depending on what forum you post in.

• El Marko

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:47 PM

The answer would be Honda in most forums.

What problems have you had? CRF450s are pretty damn reliable.

• 642MX

Posted May 01, 2007 - 06:52 PM

CRF450s are pretty damn reliable.

Compared to what? :applause:

• 642MX

Posted May 01, 2007 - 06:53 PM

which bike is the most reliable, honda, kawi, suzuki, yamaha?

Hands down its a Yamaha. Do some research in the forums, you'll see. :applause:

• meyer fire

Posted May 01, 2007 - 08:31 PM

My last bike was 2001 yz426f, for a year and 9 months all I did was change oil and tires & air filters along with minor little stuff but never had any break downs and most of all noooooooooooo valve promblems!!!!!
So I treated my self to a new bike, 2006 yz450f. Lets just say I love my new bike to say the least. I ride desert about 60 hours a year in Las Vegas, most of what I ride is rocky hard terrain, whooped out and some sand. I would say I am a fast novice rider and I i'm 220 pounds. Once again my bike has proven to be very reliable, after buying it new in nov 2005 to current, I have only had to adjust my valves once! And there has been no other issues.
I ride with 4 other guys and they all ride hondas 2005 crf450r & 2007 crf450r, all bought new. I will say their bikes have been good as well but I do know this, they have to check there valves about every 3 months not a big deal if you know how to do it yourself but if you don't a honda store charges about $200 dollars. By they way if your valves have to be adjusted that means they are wearing and in so many years you will need to redo them costing more money in repairs compared to a Yamaha.

• grayracer513

Posted May 01, 2007 - 09:32 PM

Alright, look. The CRF guys can come in here and say what they want, but I own an '03 with AT LEAST 300 hours on it that has never been apart except to change out a cam change for maintenance, and never needed as much as one valve adjustment since it was new. At this point, my '06 is following the same pattern. One of my riding buddies has an '00 426 that we actually did adjust the valves once, and the rings were replaced once, too.

It's not my purpose to say anything one way or other about a CRF, or any other bike, I'm just telling you my direct experience with YZF's. It isn't unusual by any means. As a professional mechanic with decades of experience, the reliability of the YZF, particularly given the fact that it is a competitive racing bike, is mind boggling.

• FriscoKLR

Posted May 01, 2007 - 10:14 PM

I bought a set of Hotcams valve shims two years ago. Two good buddies have CRF's. The've had my shim kit between them since I bought it. I did use it once after installing an auto decomp cam in my old WR400F. The WR400 stayed in spec for the following 30 rides until I sold it to a friend and he has another 40 days and still in spec. My '06 YZ450F has held valve clearance spec for 60 rides now. I'm done checking it unless it starts to feel like its tightening up on me.

• gobes32

Posted May 02, 2007 - 04:35 AM

I would be of the opinion that all the 450's from the big 4 japanese manufacturers would be reliable so long as you provide preventative maintenance. Yamaha's seem to be more idiot proof as in novice riders can really abuse them before a valve goes etc. But if you plan to look after the bike like you just stated then I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices.

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2007 - 05:13 AM

... if you plan to look after the bike like you just stated then I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices.

You should be in politics. You managed to answer the question with something that sounds nice, takes no position, doesn't piss anyone off, and says nothing. BTW, I disagree.

If the poster will simply prowl around in each of the forums, he will soon enough see for himself. Nothing comes close to a YZF in terms of reliability. I've had more problems with my sundial.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 12yamaha

Posted May 02, 2007 - 08:17 AM

I own an 06 KX450 and 06 YZ450F. Just bought the YZ because I just wasn't sure of how reliable the KX will be in the long run. My past Yamaha 250f were just bullit proof. Go for months between oil changes, might clean the air filter now and then( I was just getting back into bikes)and the bike just kept going . I have owned 3 Honda CRF's and had to replace vavles in all of them, crank bearings in my 05, crank seal in my 03 after it sucked all the tranny fluid into the crankcase oil. Honda has a great feeling bike, I just have no luck with them. I have also heard great things about the KTM reliability.

I would have to go with the Yamaha. I think their 5 valve verses everyone elses 4 valve head is the way to go. Wish you the best of luck and hope you find a good bike.

• BergArabia

Posted May 02, 2007 - 08:51 AM

I have had my YZ450 for 2 years. I bought new and I service it regularly myself mostly.
I had the drain bolt fall out while riding (no doubt user error) that was at about 15 hours of use. 600 dollars and new piston and rings later I was back to riding. It has had another 150 hours on it since then I guess.
Not a single issue since then.
I would say the bike is abused.
I ride in the desert on sand only. Sometimes long trips where I am riding all day.
I have a paddle and I do race up tall dunes.. Bike has never missed a beat. (other than rider stupidity issue mentioned above)
I love it and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for reliability. I would not swap it for a new crf..

Having said that red is more popular than blue in Dubai, mostly because of the excellent service provided by the red dealer..
But I still prefer blue..

• AlkalineOne

Posted May 02, 2007 - 02:31 PM

i raced my 98 yz400 for 6 years, sold it last year, no valve work... my buddies 06 crf450 is in the shop this week getting a top end rebuild... hmmmm

• Captaincautious7

Posted May 02, 2007 - 05:04 PM

I have owned an 02crf which had valve issues and an 05crf which I traded in at approx.140hrs that had none. I ride with several friends who still own crf450's and have both had valve issues. Obviously there are many more valve issues with Honda's as opposed to the Yamahas and that was the reason for my most recent purchase of a Yamaha. As Gray stated, do a little research online and in person and I think you will come to the same conclusion.Honda makes a quality product no doubt, but given past experiences and information I personally believe Yamaha makes an overall superior 4stroke powerplant.

• KTM303

Posted May 02, 2007 - 10:19 PM

The yamaha seems to be the best by far, the kawa and suzuki are good but not as good and the honda while being a great bike (power, handling ect) just eats valves. The honda needs lots of attention to shimming and half the guys riding them will tell you that they have had valve issues. Yamahas just go forever with not a care. My next bike will be Yamaha for this reason.

• eissinger4

Posted May 02, 2007 - 10:35 PM

Go blue, you won't be disappointed!

• gobes32

Posted May 03, 2007 - 05:29 AM

You should be in politics. You managed to answer the question with something that sounds nice, takes no position, doesn't piss anyone off, and says nothing. BTW, I disagree.

If the poster will simply prowl around in each of the forums, he will soon enough see for himself. Nothing comes close to a YZF in terms of reliability. I've had more problems with my sundial.

I am sorry if i offended anyone. I honestly believe if you look after a bike like the guy said he will, then it doesn't matter what bike he buys. I was asking myself the same question as this fellow and i ended up buying a '02 426. If you want my honest opinion and you want me to get off the fence, then go the Yamaha.

• SXP

Posted May 03, 2007 - 06:13 AM

I've had more problems with my sundial.

:applause: Really? And which mechanical part failed? :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2007 - 06:30 AM

Well, I don't know what's causing it, but it never works right when it's cloudy. Might be the main bearings.

• HONDA NO MORE

Posted May 03, 2007 - 07:17 PM

I have owned an 04 and 05 YZ450, no problems whatsoever. I have a friend with an 04 yfz450 that had roughly 15 trips to the dunes on it. Each trip was at least 2 days of 10-12 hours of riding, with a majority of that racing up the drag hills. During this 15 trips he never changed the oil once in his yfz. Not what I would recommend, but he still doesn't do very much maintaince on it and it still runs like a raped ape. I have 3 friends with CRF's 2 05's and 1 04's, none with very many hours, they have all had their valves go out.

Hands down the YZ is better for reliability and it kicks the crap out of a CRF on the hill. If you like to spend money and wrench on you machine, get the Honda, if you like to ride, and then ride some more get the YZ.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.