First MX race on 426, need some advice

18 replies to this topic
  • jgreene

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:07 PM

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to ask, but need advice on which class to enter. I have never raced MX, but plan to later this month. I race HS and enduros in the B class so I am thinking that I need to ride the B class in MX. I am concerned that I may be in the way in the B class, but do not want to sandbag the C class. Would it be acceptable to enter C for the first race and avance for the next if I do well? Would it be safer in B with more expirienced riders, or C with riders most likely more my speed? Give me your opinions.

Thanks,

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:10 PM

If you are age 25 to 30 race in the age classes but if you are not ride in the B class. Because if you dont do to well it will make you a faster rider.

• 642MX

Posted May 01, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Ask the promoter to watch you spin a couple laps in practice and let him make the decision.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 01, 2007 - 08:24 PM

Ask the promoter to watch you spin a couple laps in practice and let him make the decision.

Good suggestion. I always race woods and MX races by age. A little easier & safer choice for us older folks...

• Wiz636

Posted May 02, 2007 - 10:30 AM

Do any of your hare scrambles run part of the course on a MX track? If so, do you clear all the doubles? If the answer is yes go 'B' class, if the answer is no go 'C' class.

If you haven't spent a reasonable amount of time on a track then go 'C'. MX is quite a bit different than HS. I've got a buddy that smokes me on a track, but I can always beat him in a HS.

• Florida_426

Posted May 02, 2007 - 04:41 PM

I run age group, now a +50 if it is available, D if not. I rode C class as a young kid and an adult. The B riders here are pretty fast, my son was moving up to B class here, last year, until he took time off while I recovered from surgeries. As your best bet, watch some practice and ask around about the class' riders at your track. See how you stack up in practice then make the decision. You are admirable in not wanting to sandbag the C class. I wish more people thought that way.

Bill

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2007 - 04:51 PM

Before I rode my first MX, I had been riding for about 8 years, and racing TT and flat track for 6. I had finished in the top 5 in Dist 38 Open Expert 4 times, and won the #1 plate in the local ACA Open Expert class. I rode my first several races with the novice class, and didn't move up until I picked up my third top 10 finish.

If you are that much faster than the C's, you don't have to ride the class again, but you'll have a good time, and you'll learn something about MX. If the B's are that much faster than you, you'll be too far over your head to either enjoy yourself or learn anything, and you might even get yourself or someone else hurt.

• jgreene

Posted May 02, 2007 - 05:14 PM

If you are that much faster than the C's, you don't have to ride the class again, but you'll have a good time, and you'll learn something about MX. If the B's are that much faster than you, you'll be too far over your head to either enjoy yourself or learn anything, and you might even get yourself or someone else hurt.

My biggest concern is endagering myself, or worse yet others by riding in the wrong class. Being almost 39 years old, I am really not looking to mix it up with guys that have been MX'ing since childhood.

I think that I may ride the first one in the novice class. I would think that after the race I could somehow compare my lap times to the B's and see if I should move up for the next race. Or I may go to a practice day and let the track owner help me decide as has been suggested.

I appreciate the advice, wish me luck.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 02, 2007 - 06:51 PM

As an older rider (I am assuming you are as well going by your posts) I would take a Vet or Sr. class over a C or B Class in MX anyday of the week. Racing a C class as an older rider is danger Will Robinson in my book. I would rather finish dead last in a Vet or Sr. class than mix it up and finish in a top position with un-experienced beginner riders in a C-Class. + There is a good chance by running with Vets, you will become a much better rider.

Just my .02

- RCD

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted May 02, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Hey Ralph- who is Will Robinson?

• Florida_426

Posted May 03, 2007 - 07:36 AM

Danger-danger Will Robinson!!! Lost in Space TV series, played by Billy Mumy. Son of the captain and June Lock Hart's charcter.

Ride the VET class and you will be surprised how fast these guys are too. You are wise to do this as you asked.

Bill

• Wiz636

Posted May 03, 2007 - 02:41 PM

I would rather finish dead last in a Vet or Sr. class than mix it up and finish in a top position with un-experienced beginner riders in a C-Class.

That is a very good point...some of the teenagers (and older) in the C classes are fearless...and unskilled. That's not a good combination to be around!

• skthom2320

Posted May 03, 2007 - 02:45 PM

If you are 39, most promoters run a +30 vet class of some form or other. This is the class you want. Stay far, far, far, far away from the kids in the beginner classes. And B class will be pretty doggone fast.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 03, 2007 - 03:18 PM

Danger-danger Will Robinson!!! Lost in Space TV series, played by Billy Mumy. Son of the captain and June Lock Hart's charcter.

Ride the VET class and you will be surprised how fast these guys are too. You are wise to do this as you asked.

Bill

Matt- See Above. Florida_426/Bill sums it all up and more. Especially how fast those Vets are!

• 642MX

Posted May 03, 2007 - 04:23 PM

Okay I understand about the Will Robinson thing, but I'm confused about fast vets? I guess I've never observed any fast vets.....:p

Now I have seen a few fast +25 riders. My wife video tapes some of my races so I can see myself. :applause: :p :applause:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 04, 2007 - 06:46 AM

Okay I understand about the Will Robinson thing, but I'm confused about fast vets? I guess I've never observed any fast vets.....:p

Now I have seen a few fast +25 riders. My wife video tapes some of my races so I can see myself. :applause: :p :p

Yea right... If you would race a Vet MX class and especially a Vet class in a Grand-prix or Harescramble race instead of C class - you would see for yourself. (You would see the back of everyone's rear fender-Trust me) :p

The speed of which you are riding is directly proportionaly to the class you are riding in...regardless of what the camera shows... :applause:

• 642MX

Posted May 04, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Man that C class comment really hurt. Most of the time I race Pro Beginner....:applause:

Are we getting together for the live SX race this weekend?

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 04, 2007 - 08:26 AM

Sorry about the raggin brother. Definately on the SX. Call me and let me know what you are thinking and we will make it happen.

- RCD

• 642MX

Posted May 04, 2007 - 08:31 AM

Sorry about the raggin brother

Just playin with ya. :applause:

I'll call you tonight and maybe we can get with Eric and Neil too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.