New Bike!!! 2001 Yz426f

8 replies to this topic
  • 4literranger485

Posted May 01, 2007 - 12:20 PM

whats up? i've been lurking on TT for a couple weeks (because my old ride is a 94 rm250) but i finally got to upgrade, check it out. and i was wondering if there are any problems or things i should inspect closely before really taking it out and riding. i already gave it a once over with my own eyes but i'm a 4 stroke newb. everything looks in order, and my first short ride was a BLAST! lemme know what you guys think

Posted Image

• Slinkyman16

Posted May 01, 2007 - 01:09 PM

first of all nice bike.. secondly welcome to the tt family.. third where in cali are u from? and 4th... i would check the valves, change the oil and check the airbox for signs of bad maint(dirt).. check the plug/replace plug, greese all the berrings or at least check them out.. and when ur done with all that have some fun.

• 4literranger485

Posted May 01, 2007 - 01:39 PM

i live in California city, so if anybody's riding out this way let me know! and i planned on doing the oil and the air filter tonight, and i gotta drain the gas because the guy said it was old so i'll get a new spark plug when i get new gas. i'll pry grease everything this weekend before any long riding trips, but i dont want to! haha, i just wanna ride

• 4literranger485

Posted May 01, 2007 - 01:40 PM

one other thing, on the drive home the wind blew one side of the tank graphics part way off, anyone know a good adhesive for these to stick it back on?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bikermice

Posted May 02, 2007 - 07:22 PM

Contact cement will hold the graphics down.........If it was me, I would plan on tearing down & lubing the swingarm and shock linkage bearings in the next six months or sooner. Most people never go there, especially if they are just weekend riders.......One more thing comes to mind. Yamaha could have put a piece of wood inplace of the seat foam & you wouldn't be able to tell the diff. I just finished building a seat for my "02" 426 & now it's sweat. I went with a tall, soft foam & Throttle Jockie cover..........BTW, nice looking bike. Good luck.

• 642MX

Posted May 02, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Nice bike. I'd buy a mag cover gasket and a new timing chain for it. They should be replaced every year or two.

• Florida_426

Posted May 03, 2007 - 07:29 AM

Every piece of info they gave and do the 450 DCM if it still has the stock exhaust cam in place. When you check the valves and replace the cam timing chain it is no sweat to do. Nice looking scoot you got there. Welcome to the YZF family.

Bill

• 4literranger485

Posted May 04, 2007 - 06:25 AM

thanks for all the good words! i didnt really notice the seat too much, but my old bike was a PIECE so this thing is like a cadillac in the desert. i plan on doing the cam swap once i get some cash, but right now i can start it up fine and i'm just glad to be able to ride and not have to work on my 2-stroke all the time!:applause:

• BergArabia

Posted May 04, 2007 - 06:39 PM

i'm just glad to be able to ride and not have to work on my 2-stroke all the time!:applause:

:p
Yep wrenching is OK but riding is way better..:applause:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.