Larger HORN on XR650L ... ?

I'm not smart enough to figure out why my FIAMM 12-volt DC, negative ground, horn will not work correctly on my XR650L ... if the horn is grounded to the bike, (like the stock horn appears to be), it works, but at low volume ... if you have the horn in your hand, (not mounted to the bike), it is painfully LOUD ! ... what gives, is the stock horn AC, or something ? :applause:

yup, I made a mounting strap from a strip of plastic, stiil wouldn't work properly ... weird ... I've tried several different methods, nothing works so far, even tried another horn, it was same problem ... :applause:

If the horn has a bolt and nut in the rear of the horn to mount it to a strap, try not to tighten it too much. I broke the mounting strap of my horn, got a new strap and tested the horn prior to mounting it to the new strap, it worked great, then I tightened it up on the new strap and the sound was real soft, almost not working. I pulled it off, tested it again, it worked great. I found if I tightened it too much, it would not work.

I'm not smart enough to figure out why my FIAMM 12-volt DC, negative ground, horn will not work correctly on my XR650L ... if the horn is grounded to the bike, (like the stock horn appears to be), it works, but at low volume ... if you have the horn in your hand, (not mounted to the bike), it is painfully LOUD ! ... what gives, is the stock horn AC, or something ? :applause:

you need to use a relay..tapping into the batterys current and not trying to squeeze power thru a 22guage wire..just my 2centz

I'm using the same wires that the stock horn uses ... and the horn works great, if NOT mounted to the bike ... I have tried several different horns, and the ONLY one that works correctly, is the stock one ... ??? ... I'm still wondering if it is an AC/DC issue, any more ideas ?? :applause: I have read somewhere that the 'L' electrical system differs from the 'R', regarding AC, or something ... if I don't get an answer, I'll stop posting, I don't want to beat a dead horse :applause:

I'm using the same wires that the stock horn uses ... and the horn works great, if NOT mounted to the bike ... I have tried several different horns, and the ONLY one that works correctly, is the stock one ... ??? ... I'm still wondering if it is an AC/DC issue, any more ideas ?? :applause: I have read somewhere that the 'L' electrical system differs from the 'R', regarding AC, or something ... if I don't get an answer, I'll stop posting, I don't want to beat a dead horse :applause:

Howdy RoadCam.

If the horn is mounted too secure, you will loose some of it's volume. The horn needs to vibrate at a certian freq to be tuned. Most quality horns are attached to a 3" strip of spring steel to allow for this vibration. If you mount it with the spring so it can buzz, it will be much louder.

That being said, you can mount a stebel in the same size space and it will be much louder. The power requirement requires a relay and 12-14 gauge wires tho. The factory wires size, and switch capacity will not allow enough power to the horn for the energy you need to generate the volume.

Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Howdy RoadCam.

If the horn is mounted too secure, you will loose some of it's volume. The horn needs to vibrate at a certian freq to be tuned. Most quality horns are attached to a 3" strip of spring steel to allow for this vibration. If you mount it with the spring so it can buzz, it will be much louder.

That being said, you can mount a stebel in the same size space and it will be much louder. The power requirement requires a relay and 12-14 gauge wires tho. The factory wires size, and switch capacity will not allow enough power to the horn for the energy you need to generate the volume.

Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Bingo.