WR 450 for a 13/14year old

15 replies to this topic
  • YamaThumperRider

Posted May 01, 2007 - 11:32 AM

My son wants a new bike, well he wants a WR but, he'll be driving in a few years and will need a truck. He sat on a Wr 250 and loved it he could touch ground with both feet. Right now he rides a uncorked 230. I'm not worried about it being over powered but, how snapy it is and how easy it would be to loop out on tight single track.

Thanks, Zack:ride:

• old man dan

Posted May 01, 2007 - 11:37 AM

seems like a lot of bike for a kid, unless he's pretty big and strong I would go with the 250. same basic bike but without all the extra torque to manage. The 250 is better in the tight woods. I have a 450 and I'm shopping for a 250 right now, I'll keep the 450 but sometimes when its really snotty and tight I wish for the smaller engine, there easier to change direction on and don't tire you out as fast.

• specialk6r

Posted May 01, 2007 - 11:59 AM

When I was 13 I still thought my YZ80 was quick, and was marginally ready for a 125 smoker. I suppose I was a little smaller than average, but the 450 is a big bike. I'd guess he's gonna have a hard time keeping it from falling over if he gets off balance in the slow stuff.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 01, 2007 - 01:52 PM

When I was 13 I still thought my YZ80 was quick, and was marginally ready for a 125 smoker. I suppose I was a little smaller than average, but the 450 is a big bike. I'd guess he's gonna have a hard time keeping it from falling over if he gets off balance in the slow stuff.

My 15 year old is on a 125 now but has been riding my retired 04' 450 and I even let him ride my 07' from time to time. He loves riding the bikes but they are undeniably to heavy for him.. he is not a small kid but not a big kid either... to much machine for him in the tight and technical northwest singletrack..

• kevinwr450f

Posted May 01, 2007 - 04:13 PM

Way too much bike for a kid that age. I'm 34,5' 10",175lbs and reasonably strong and this bike is a beast. I've dropped mine at least ten times in the dirt since I bought it. Plenty of power for any adult but a 14 year old would be cause for concern.....

• whoops dude

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:11 PM

I'm 17 6ft. tall and 145lbs and I muscle my 450 around in the woods and sand just fine. If you can let him get some seat time on both and see which he likes more and you could always put a heavier fly wheel weight on the 450 to mellow out the power.

• ronbum77

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:41 PM

when i was 12 i got a brand new 1999 yz 125, i was 6 foot 220, and it was plenty of bike for me. I rode my dad's 98 wr400f and about lost it in the front yard. and a few weeks later my dad traded in the wr for a yzf426... I couldnt handle it and wiped it out, twice... in the same day... So, my answer would be yes, the wrf 450 is too much bike for a 13/14 year old.

• specialk6r

Posted May 01, 2007 - 06:20 PM

I'm 17 6ft. tall and 145lbs and I muscle my 450 around in the woods and sand just fine. If you can let him get some seat time on both and see which he likes more and you could always put a heavier fly wheel weight on the 450 to mellow out the power.

Ummm, you're a quite a bit bigger than most 13-year-olds. Would you have been able to "muscle around" that bike 4 years ago?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted May 01, 2007 - 07:05 PM

no 450's for 13 year olds.........assuming you like your 13 years olds to be alive.

• whoops dude

Posted May 01, 2007 - 07:43 PM

Ummm, you're a quite a bit bigger than most 13-year-olds. Would you have been able to "muscle around" that bike 4 years ago?

yeah I got it when I was 14.

• ajetmech

Posted May 01, 2007 - 11:56 PM

If you have to ask about other peoples oppinon in a message board then you have doubts about it. You have to ask your self how you would feel inside if you got him the 450 and he racked him self up pretty good. Only you can be the judge, jury and exacusioner in this decsion. Only you know how he rides and wether or not he is responsible enough. Please dont take this wrong or aimed towards you but I live in the desert and every day I see KIDS on bikes and quads that are way too big for them. They blaze accross busy streets with out stopping because they cant reach the ground or cant control the bike. When I see this I think to my self when are enough kids going to get hurt and then they start adding the age restrictings to bike the way they do with quads. I have a 13 year old who rides a LT160 (with the throttle screw retarded) do to the fact he is 140 lbs and the 90cc is way to small. From what I can read the over 16 is only a recomendation not LAW but I make sure he is carefull. That was the choise I had to make when I bought it. My 16 year old rides a YZ125 and that is a fast bike for him. Like I said befor you need to look inside youself and make up your own opinon. I know there are some up and coming Bubbs and Chad Reeds out there but this is suppose to be a fun sport not how big and fast can one go. I hope I did not offend anyone reading this.

• ronbum77

Posted May 02, 2007 - 06:45 AM

Get him a 250f, not a 450f... Its much more fun to ride a slower bike fast, than it is to ride a stupid fast bike slower.

• YamaThumperRider

Posted May 02, 2007 - 11:15 AM

Thanks guys, I'm going with the 250. I know I would save $ in the long run but, would make up for it in medical bills. My son broke a wrist several years ago and I couldn't stand it. I really don't want to see my kid get hurt again.

Thank you for all the replies and help, Zack

• face_plant

Posted May 02, 2007 - 12:33 PM

good call. at the shop here we would not even sell it to a coustomer if it is for that young of a rider. 16+ for a 450..btw my first big bike i got when i was 13 was an 82 xr 250P it weighed more than my whole family

• renthal1

Posted May 02, 2007 - 12:39 PM

you would be mad to let him ride a 450.

• 2-stroker

Posted May 02, 2007 - 12:47 PM

i got a yz250f and i love it. but a 450, especially a wr would be way too heavy. the yz250f is plenty fast and if you ever need more power get a big bore kit. the yz for me isnt real heavy and im 14 about 5'9" and 165 and when i fall i have no prob picking it up but a 250 is hard to pick up. i would go with the 250 wr or yz. good luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.