O.K. Guys i need you're help.?

8 replies to this topic
  • steed2

Posted May 01, 2007 - 03:20 AM

Well to begin with i am very mechanically inclined { im a transmission mechanic} but i have no idea how the front forks work on the xr650r ...anyways to my questions
1. How do I change the fork seals. { Ive been told to remove the center bolt at the bottom of the fork leg and then it will separate}???
2. How do i fill it with oil, to what level, and what weight would you recommend..{ light jumping ...rough trails....ect}

Thanks to who ever can help me

• Denn10

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:58 AM

up in the top right theres a link that says "search this forum" type front forks in there and it will show all threads for fork anything and there are a few in there that prolly should help you out alot.

• needsprayer

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:59 AM

• Thumpmeister

Posted May 01, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Both Borynack's and the Haymakers site (xr650r.us) go into good detail about fork rebuilding. I think the haymakers site even tells you how to make your own tool to get the forks apart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR4DEZ

Posted May 01, 2007 - 07:57 PM

Both Borynack's and the Haymakers site (xr650r.us) go into good detail about fork rebuilding. I think the haymakers site even tells you how to make your own tool to get the forks apart.

You can download a PDF manual from this site too, it'll help you a lot with the forx. Yes you need to take out the adjuster at the bottom, if you have an impact you don't need Honda tools or anything special. It will spin the bolt fast enough to let it release.

• XR4DEZ

Posted May 01, 2007 - 07:59 PM

This guy knows his stuff and will help you out.

• davidarnott

Posted May 05, 2007 - 04:56 PM

I weigh 160 and thought the suspention was too stiff for me so my mechanic cleaned out the stock fluid (honda fork oil reputed to suck) and put in "golden spectro" 85/150 synthetic petroleum cartidge fork fluid very light oil in both the fork and the shock. Also they put in progressive suswpention fork springs from Al Baker's now my XR650R eats rough dirt and gravel road for lunch I cant hardly even feel it anymore.

• clreede

Posted May 05, 2007 - 05:04 PM

I heard that you can use an impact to take the bolt out of the bottom of the fork, the Allen bit cost me $20 though, and I had to order it from MSC, but it does the trick. And if you have the money, precision concepts is the the best shop for the XR650r period, be prepared to swap to a CR500 shock though.

• steed2

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:11 AM

ya sorry i didnt reply earlier just ive been busy but ya i just used my impact and removed the lower 14mm bolt all done worked great also.....the factory oil in there it looked like gear oil out a a 79 chevy differential....lol anyways thanks for the help guys

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.