first race on new edelbrock pumper carb my opinions

8 replies to this topic
  • ogrider650

Posted April 30, 2007 - 11:09 PM

ok vikings nationals lucerne valley bessimer road. first off i have to say that without this carb i don't think i would have finished this race. i got a great start off the bomb the throttle response was simply amazing it just hit and pulled and i reached the end of the bomb with absolutley no dust until i hit some big ass sand whoops which i proceeded to take a digger in :-) but... i picked the bike up kicked it once and it fired up who hoo. lets just put it this way i dumped it several 3 or 4 times this race and after lifting that bike up i would have been hating life if i had the stock carb on becasue 3 of the 4 times it fell to the right. but it started 1st or 2nd kick each time. and on an uphill i stalled out on.so that right there was worth the price of admission. overall the feel of the carb is great i barely have to touch the throttle to loft the front end over whoops and small obstacles which makes me less tired. the only issue i had (just me needing some more time with it) is that i was used to rolling on the throttle when doing technical rocky stuff and it would just tractor over big rocks and such but now i barely tap it and it would jump and give me a little whiskey throttle so i was having a little trouble adjusting to this snappy feeling. as far as my opinion this has been the best investment i have made so far i am compleley happy with this carb and if anyone in socal wants to go ride with me and test it out let me know.
downside though was i ran out of gas on stock tank at 36 miles????? this may have been becasue the majority of the race was in deep sand quite a bit of people ran out of gas so i am not tottaly sure the carb was the problem.
anyway just my review of this carb.
BTW novice rider age 35 200 lbs been riding 3 years in case your wondering:thumbsup:

• Agent2

Posted May 01, 2007 - 08:53 AM

Seems that riders either love or hate the Edelbrock carb. I think it's a great carb for the 650r. 36 miles on a tank does seem a little low, but not too far out of the question with a lot of low speed - high throttle riding, the price you pay for the performance increase. Kinda like the old days when you swapped out the Quadrajet for a Holley Double Pumper carb on your small block Chevy...

• TDC71

Posted May 01, 2007 - 09:11 AM

Great write up OGRIDER:thumbsup: I've done every mod to my bike 650L except the carb/header pipe and big bore kit. Thought I was done modding the thing but now the itch is back....... thanks I think, LOL:naughty:

Todd

• frankstr

Posted May 01, 2007 - 09:57 AM

Glad to hear you liked it..:applause: :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drop

Posted May 01, 2007 - 01:29 PM

I thought fuel economy was supposed to improve with the swap?

• ogrider650

Posted May 01, 2007 - 02:15 PM

I thought fuel economy was supposed to improve with the swap?

well the 36 miles i got is debatable becasue on this race alot of people ran out of gas just becasue there was a ton of sand spinning wheels etc. the last 10 miles of the race i saw at least 20 riders sitting by the ribbon out of gas so next time i ride i should get a better idea on milage

• XR4DEZ

Posted May 01, 2007 - 09:20 PM

Did you do the B loop? Get a big tank and don't sweat the gas. Way to go on the race!

• ogrider650

Posted May 02, 2007 - 08:56 AM

Did you do the B loop? Get a big tank and don't sweat the gas. Way to go on the race!

nah i learned my lesson at the last national (DMC) im not in good enough shape to finish a national 2nd loop a normal one yes but not a national. especially in that heat. yeah thats my next purchase is a bigger tank

• davidarnott

Posted May 05, 2007 - 04:50 PM

I can recommend that Acerbis five gallon tank havent had any trouble with it in a year only the petcocks look cheap. I've been running the edelbrock carb with a Hot Cam stage II cam and I have to recommend this combination on the XR650R that carb is so dial-a-torque and when you stab it by god you are gone, also no more hesitation (whilst sliding sideways)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.