Need help making my beast trail friendly

15 replies to this topic
  • firffighter

Posted April 30, 2007 - 03:00 PM

I bought a pristine 1993 XR600 this last winter and have just now been able to get it out on a few rides. I didnt like the bike for tight terrain at first, but am now getting the hang of it. I need advice on how to make this a little more friendly on the tight trails here in Oregon. I have already added Protaper CR Hi bars and have gone with 13/48 gearing. Here are a few ideas I have to further tame this bike. Your input would be appreciated.

1) I have a Clarke 4.7 gallon tank and wonder if putting a stock one on would help the bike feel more slim at the seat/tank?

2) Go with 13/50 or 13/51 gearing. Has anyone tried this gearing?

3) Add wide pegs.

4) Gripper seat cover.

Any other ideas would be great. I like the bike and would like to keep it, just need to tone it down a bit.

• cleonard

Posted April 30, 2007 - 04:00 PM

I bought a pristine 1993 XR600 this last winter and have just now been able to get it out on a few rides. I didnt like the bike for tight terrain at first, but am now getting the hang of it. I need advice on how to make this a little more friendly on the tight trails here in Oregon. I have already added Protaper CR Hi bars and have gone with 13/48 gearing. Here are a few ideas I have to further tame this bike. Your input would be appreciated.

1) I have a Clarke 4.7 gallon tank and wonder if putting a stock one on would help the bike feel more slim at the seat/tank?

2) Go with 13/50 or 13/51 gearing. Has anyone tried this gearing?

3) Add wide pegs.

4) Gripper seat cover.

Any other ideas would be great. I like the bike and would like to keep it, just need to tone it down a bit.

A smaller tank will help a little, as will the lower gearing. I ride with the stock 14/48 and I hardly ever wish for lower gearing. The engine puts out good torque at insanely low RPMS so I don't feather the clutch very often. I think that 13/51 would make first pretty much useless, but it would bring second down quite a bit.

It's a big heavy bike. It takes a special technique. Don't expect it to handle like a 250 smoker.

• firffighter

Posted May 01, 2007 - 04:09 PM

I like the 13/48 gearing, but wonder what 13/50 would do? Any of you guys who ride tight, steep, rocky, technical stuff have some advice?

• frankstr

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:16 PM

I have 14/51 gearing on my BRP, does great on the Oregon trails...:applause:

• firffighter

Posted May 02, 2007 - 03:28 PM

I am going to try 13/50 gearing and see what happens. If it shortens 2nd a little more, then it would really help for that tight stuff. I am also going to try a stock tank to see if it gives it a more slim feel. Which brand of wide pegs are good to go with? Any more ideas on how to make it more trail friendly? Thanks for the input.

• LeadDoggy

Posted May 03, 2007 - 05:54 AM

IMS make a great set of pegs. You may want to look into bars risers that more them forward also. They worked for me, as made it easier to stand while riding. Maybe also look into a pipe to shed a pound or two. I have 13/48 gearing on my 97. Can still hit 75mph across the drylake beds, but don't like it while on the hwy.

• Billahjack

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:34 AM

A couple tips you may want to try as a riding feel change -

Quicker turning - Raise front fork tubes in triple clamp 1/4". This drops the front end of the bike and changes rake angle.

Better wheelie capabilities over obstacles - loosen preload on rear shock (Increase sag) and/or choose sprocket combo that pushes rear wheel forward while maintaining proper chain tension. Moving the rear wheel forward will also give you quicker turning.

**For the bumpy stuff, you want to stand more and let the bike move under your body. Let your bike do the work. As soon as your body starts getting thrown around on bumpy stuff (shifting your body Center of Gravity around), you begin to lose control.

• firffighter

Posted May 03, 2007 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have bar risers on with Windham Protaper bend, and I also have a supertrapp exhaust. I just ordered a 50 tooth rear sprocket, a set of IMS super stock pegs, and there is a local guys parting out his '92 XR600, so I will try to get a stock tank from him. I might try moving the forks up in the clamps for the really tight stuff around here.

Anyone else with advice, or a setup that they like?

I am starting to get used to the bike a little more now and have found that setting up for turns and obstacles early and just letting the bike do the work is key. I actually rode a WR426 the other day, and I didnt like the twitchy feel of the bike compared to the stable feeling of the XR. I also like the powerband on the XR way better than the WR. Just roll on that XR throtle and go up anything.

Thanks again for the help and keep it coming. I appreciate it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrHP

Posted May 03, 2007 - 08:31 PM

Hi, I have a '95 XR600 with 13/48 gearing, stock tank, Ohlins rear shock, Maxxis tires. Went out and rode it the first time today on the tight sections in the Walla Walla South Fork area. For comparison, first I rode my hot rod CRF450(488cc), with Rekluse,Ohlins forks, Dubach pipe, M12 tires - its snappy, and after riding the XR600, its twitchy too! The old tank rode like a Cadillac, a very solid performer in slippery grooves, over wet roots and stable over softball sized rock beds - Man, why haven't I tried riding it before?!! Always thought it was too big for the tight stuff and at 55 yrs old not too quick a stabbing the clutch, so I was leary to ride the darn thang - NOT now, WOW!! The engine would thump down to very low RPM's in first, you could stab the throttle and off it would go, throwing mud and rocks all over. I have un-plugged it, jetted and lowered the fork tubes by an inch, works great!! Where do you ride? I can't wait to get this thing over to Ukiah on the single track.

Dennis Baccus - Walla Walla WA

• firffighter

Posted May 04, 2007 - 10:46 AM

Dennis,
I have been riding at Brown's camp in the Tillamook burn area and at McCubbins gulch near HWY 126 just over the MT. HOOD pass. At first the bike was a handful on the tight trails, but I have been getting used to the power delivery and realizing that you can lug the thing down to nothing and then just roll on the throttle. Not having to keep the revs up like my 2 strokes is nice in that tight terrain. I cant wait to get it over to China Hat area in the desert and see what she can really do.

Just wondering if anyone has advice on whether or not switching to a stock tank would make that much difference in making the bike more trail friendly. I hate to get rid of the Clarke because it increases the value of the bike and is a nice addition. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the input.

• cbaranski

Posted May 04, 2007 - 10:59 AM

I'm running 13/51 in my 96 xr600. It is a little more managable, and way quiker in corners and shortens 1st 2nd.

• Billahjack

Posted May 04, 2007 - 11:33 AM

Dennis,
I have been riding at Brown's camp in the Tillamook burn area and at McCubbins gulch near HWY 126 just over the MT. HOOD pass. At first the bike was a handful on the tight trails, but I have been getting used to the power delivery and realizing that you can lug the thing down to nothing and then just roll on the throttle. Not having to keep the revs up like my 2 strokes is nice in that tight terrain. I cant wait to get it over to China Hat area in the desert and see what she can really do.

Just wondering if anyone has advice on whether or not switching to a stock tank would make that much difference in making the bike more trail friendly. I hate to get rid of the Clarke because it increases the value of the bike and is a nice addition. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the input.

I have been thinking of putting foam in my 4.6IMS tank on my XR650R to minimize fuel slosh.

• creeky

Posted May 04, 2007 - 02:11 PM

Best thing you can do for the 600 is to get the suspension revalved and resprung for your weight and type of riding, you'll be amazed at the improvement.

• DiabloCaballo

Posted May 05, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Everyone seems to think a smaller tank will help. It's not the tank. I switched from stock to a clark 4.3 that I top off for my rides and never felt a thing. It's all about knowing how to handle your machine. Listen to Billahjack's comment on technique. You just have to put the time in and learn what input your bike wants. It's all about your suspension setup, body position and throttle control. I like to ride were most 250 riders get off and turn around :applause: (For the record, I used to ride an XR250R) Loved it, but I found that the 650 better suited my riding style. Just remember; you don't ride an xr with your muscle, you ride it with your mind. Mmmm Danielson

• firffighter

Posted May 07, 2007 - 04:29 PM

Sounds like more seat time is the key. I will probably ride this season with the bike as is adding the 50 tooth rear sprocket and IMS wide pegs. I will save my nickels and dimes for a suspension revalve (sounds like this is key). Maybe even a steering stabilizer for next year. Any more thoughts on a stock vs aftermarket tank? Thanks for eveyone's input. I think a nice central Oregon desert ride is in store this week, should be fun.

• pianoexcellence

Posted May 07, 2007 - 06:02 PM

I hear a lot of talk about switching sprockets..

I don't really belong in this thread (i have a 650l) but even though my stock gears are twice as tall as yours, I have thought long and hard about the gears.

It seems that for every time I need to use a little clutch, there are two times that I can blast my buddy (on xr 400) while he is between gears 1-2

Admittedly, on the handlebar-spaced trees, and super-tech trails, it sucks, and I feel bad for my clutch, but I don't really belong there anyway...

having tall gears forces me to go faster than jogging speed through the rocky and rooty rainforest terrain that is around here. (vancouver) and sometimes that keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into.

just a thought

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.