88 xr600 Suspension upgrade

2 replies to this topic
  • imprezed

Posted April 30, 2007 - 06:30 AM

Hi all newbie in search of advise this weekend bought 88 xr600 the suspension is really soft and the adjustment on the rear seems to do nothing what aftermarket / oem option do I have for replacement or is rebuilding the way to go / possible

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted April 30, 2007 - 06:43 AM

Sounds like you need stiffer springs. That will help a lot.

Your bike has damper rod forks. That means there is no high speed circuit in them. All they have is a fixed size hole for the oil to flow through. The first time you hit a big bump at speed you will know what that means. It hurts. A front end from a 1991 or later XR600 will have a cartridge fork. They are the same diameter so they slip right in. Not sure on front wheel or brake caliper compatibility. I'm sure that the front axle got larger in 1992.

Another possibility is a "cartridge emulator." Basically the emulator replaces the fixed size hole in the damper rod with a device that has a high speed circuit. I have ridden a bike with them and they do help a lot.

For a more involved procedure, some have fitted more modern upside down forks from more modern MX bikes. This requires different triple clamps and other work. It has been described in this forum on several occasions. Search on USD in this forum to read more.

The options are a little less for the rear. It most likely needs a rebuild anyway so send it in for a rebuilding/revalving and get a spring suited for your weight.

• imprezed

Posted April 30, 2007 - 07:17 AM

cleonard thanks for the advise just what I was looking for do you have a favorite shop to send the rear out to and get rebuild

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.