Water Pump Questions on my 99 YZ400

1 reply to this topic
  • PatrickM

Posted April 29, 2007 - 07:38 PM

My Water pump has been leaking out of the little hole on the side of the water pump. All the research I did on this great forum led me to believe the seals on the impeller shaft need to be replaced.

My questions are...

1. Do i need to take off the right crank case cover to replace the inner oil seal or can I access the seal by only taking off the water pump cover off?

2. How do I know if the oil seal needs to be replaced?

3. if those seals need replacing, Should I also replace the impeller shaft???

Some quick help would be great be cause I got all the new seals in my hand and I would like to do all the work tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help Thumper Talkers!!!!!:applause: :excuseme:

Patrick M.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2007 - 08:22 PM

1> No. The inner, or oil seal is only accessible from inside. And you should also never attempt to replace the outer, or coolant seal without removing the cover, either. Enough force is required to unscrew the impeller from the shaft that there is a very real risk of breaking the drive tab off of the shaft in the process. By removing the cover, you have access to the flats ground onto the shaft for holding it with a 12mm wrench. Do it right.

2> If the oil seal were bad, it would be leaking oil from the same hole it is now leaking coolant from. The seal is cheap, and you're going to be in there, anyway. Just replace it. That way you won't have to do it again when you find out how long they last after the coolant seal fails.

3> The shaft may have a groove worn into it by the original seal. Don't confuse this with a groove that is deliberately cut into the shaft. It won't look like machine work. If the groove is deep enough to feel, it will probably cause the new seal to fail almost immediately. Also replace the bearing if it feels rough or excessively loose.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.