RR oil filter - has this happened to anyone else

19 replies to this topic
  • LoneRanger171

Posted April 29, 2007 - 03:33 PM

I just put in a new RR stainless steel filter with the cover the provide. I put the rubber gasket end towards the cover as explained here on this forum.
With this filter / cover in I noticed my bike made a little "whistling" when reving the bike and it appeared to have a little bit (not much) of oil at the top of the cover after taking a lap or 2. My bike is a 06 450SE and it never made that sound or had oil coming out of the top of cover with the stock one. I am about to go back and just use stock cover however I wondered if anyone else had experience this or not.

• krony506

Posted April 29, 2007 - 03:52 PM

I had to take my RR cover off because it leaked. Looks to me they didn't leave enough clearance for the filter and the cover wouldn't seal against the O rings. I put stock cover on and no leak.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 29, 2007 - 04:03 PM

I have had no problems with mine no leaking or whistling sound.Been on for a little over a year now. Are yall making sure you are getting it tight enough?

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2007 - 07:53 PM

Been on for a little over a year now.

Really? In a post in March of this year, you mentioned that your bike had 15 hours on it.

• almostinvincible119

Posted April 30, 2007 - 06:24 AM

This may be a really stupid suggestion, and its mostly common sence, but we all make mistakes. Make sure you take the o-ring off the stock cover and put it on the RR cover.

• WB450

Posted April 30, 2007 - 07:12 AM

I put the stock cover back on after I read where gray said the RR one was a POS.

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2007 - 08:46 AM

gray said the RR one was a POS.

Not exactly. The oil passages that run out from the filter to the oil system are smaller, which makes no sense to me, and it lacks the extension that prevents the filter from being installed backward.

• WB450

Posted April 30, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Not exactly. The oil passages that run out from the filter to the oil system are smaller, which makes no sense to me, and it lacks the extension that prevents the filter from being installed backward.

I guess that's why I put the stock coved back on, it didn't make any sense to me either.

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2007 - 11:29 AM

And so maybe this would be a good time to raise the question that occurred to me almost immediately when I first saw the RR: Do you really think that the RR can be sold with a new bling filter cover for 60% of the price of a Scotts and is 100% as good as a Scotts?

"Once upon a time..."

• eli366

Posted April 30, 2007 - 11:35 AM

same thing happend to me. I called RR and they admitted that the Oring channel was made to deep on some of the new covers. They sent me a thicker Oring to use with their bling cover.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NM_KDX200

Posted April 30, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Count me in as another stock cover user. Didn't like the bling cover for reasons already stated.

• eli366

Posted April 30, 2007 - 01:11 PM

Count me in as another stock cover user. Didn't like the bling cover for reasons already stated.

I will continue to use the stocker as well, eventhough they sent me the bigger O ring for their cover.

• LoneRanger171

Posted April 30, 2007 - 03:48 PM

Well as nice as that bling cover is I switched back to the stock cover. I am not going to waste another day at the track wiping up oil. Oh well at least the Stainless steel filter should still pay for itself after a few oil changes. Thanks guys!

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 30, 2007 - 04:39 PM

Really? In a post in March of this year, you mentioned that your bike had 15 hours on it.

Thats right! you are correct grey!!!... The reason for the low hours is>>> When I bought it new in jan.06 I rode it a little to break it in then at my first race at muddycreek TN. that was when I crashed which was on march 5 06 and I messed up my right wrist. I didnt get to ride it any more until november of 06. And now Iam back and racing it this year>>>>>> all ready at my 6th race now> Thats why I done the 1/4 throttle mod...... By the way grey how do you bring up and paste those old blue colored threads. If I knew how I would direct you to the thread where I was talking about the 1/4 throttle mod and the reason for doing it>>>> which was because of the crash and my wrist.

• howard27

Posted April 30, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Not much gets past the Gray one :applause: . What is the 1/4 throttle mod ? I gotta know if it pampers a weakened wrist.

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2007 - 08:24 PM

That's too simple. Open the forum index, click on Search this forum, and type in "1/4 turn throttle. Look for the post by MXbiker_101. Everybody's gotta learn to search sometime.

(it's in Common Threads, too)

• Ranger18

Posted May 01, 2007 - 10:53 AM

I had a RR filter and cover on my old CRF. My issue back then, was that the cover would not slide in. The o ring was too big, so I had to use the old o-ring to make it work.
I think I'm with grey on this one... if your in the market for a SS filter, go with the scotts.

• dirtking

Posted May 02, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Gray,
Do you use the Scotts oil filter in ur 03 and 06?

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Yes. I bought a brand new one for the '06 when I brought it home, and installed it when I changed the oil before the first ride.

• pace

Posted May 17, 2007 - 07:45 PM

I lost half a quart of oil from my '06 today, because the RR cover wasn't sealing properly. I'm just glad that I pulled in to the pits when I did and didn't stay out for another ten laps. I'd be paying to rebuild my motor otherwise.

Unfortunately, my OEM cover does not seem to want to fit with the RR filter, so I guess I'll return the whole shebang and hopefully get a refund.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.