Checking Stator...

7 replies to this topic
  • camoman

Posted April 28, 2007 - 11:16 AM

OK guys,, I pulled my Stator... I will be taking it to an electical shop and they will test it.... Does anyone know what kind of numbers this test should produce?????87 xr600r...
RECAP - Bike starts on 2nd or 3rd kick when cold... hard as hell to start after riding it for a while..This is the first step in process of elimination.

• scotty v-squared

Posted April 28, 2007 - 07:51 PM

its not an official site but the guy seems like he knows what he's talking about. i used his site to help along with a tranny rebuild and it hasn't blown up yet...:applause: :excuseme:

• moleculo

Posted April 29, 2007 - 07:44 AM

The exciter coil resistance should fall between 230 and 320 Ohms. Test between the black/red wire from the stator and chassis ground. Based on your symptoms, I'd be willing to bet this is the problem. Pre-91 XR600 stators are notorious for this. Assuming it is the problem and you plan to keep the bike for a long time to come, replacing the stator with an OEM 91-on unit is a good way to increase reliability.

• camoman

Posted April 30, 2007 - 03:47 AM

Will a stator from a 1992 xr 600r work in my 87 xr600r...????
looks a little different????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted April 30, 2007 - 06:56 AM

Will a stator from a 1992 xr 600r work in my 87 xr600r...????
looks a little different????

Yes it will work fine. The ignition coil is wound around two stator poles instead of one. As far as I know all XR600 stators are interchangeable.

One thing about measuring the resistance. I expect yours to measure fine on the bench. You said that it starts fine when cold and it will be cold when being measured. To see if it is bad you need to measure the resistance when it is acting up.

My stator always measured good no matter if it was hot or cold. Even though it measured good it was still bad. I rewound mine as described on the crustyquinns site and now it makes a great spark.

• camoman

Posted April 30, 2007 - 08:03 AM

I might be able to get one from a 1992 xr 600r...So it should plug right in and work??? same coil and stock electriacl components for my 87

• nate992v

Posted May 01, 2007 - 09:02 PM

Call Ricky Stator. They're tech support is awesome, and they'll be able to tell you.

• camoman

Posted May 02, 2007 - 03:16 AM

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.