Too little protection with trimmed front fender?

12 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted April 28, 2007 - 08:27 AM

I'm considering trimming the front fender on my XRL mainly for appearance. Anyone notice a difference in water or mud spray from front wheel when trimming say about five inches?

• XR 650

Posted April 28, 2007 - 10:08 AM

I see no difference except the front tip twists/shakes less at high speeds. I cut mine 2 1/2".

• kelleyseiler

Posted April 28, 2007 - 04:16 PM

I have a acerbis supermoto fender and Yes it does have an terrible amount of back spray with wet roads.
Posted Image

• stevevh

Posted April 28, 2007 - 05:34 PM

Hey there,

I trimmed my XRR front fender about 5 inches and I notice no difference with regards to water spray. It did a fine job keeping mud off me on my last ride also, and it was MUDDY. Looks much better than stock. I also trimmed the rear of the fender about 3 inches to help with the cooling.

• wheelnut46

Posted April 28, 2007 - 05:59 PM

I put an XR400 front fender on my L (perfect fit) and I cut 3 slots in the back to help increase air flow to the head. I think it looks pretty good.:applause:

• Nummie

Posted April 28, 2007 - 08:31 PM

Not only do they look stupid (IMHO), but you get a lot of back spray and mud in your face.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR 650

Posted April 29, 2007 - 02:52 AM

I cut mine 2 1/2".

Heres a picture. It took the droop out of the fender. (picture is from Delta, PA).
Posted Image

• CTXr650L

Posted April 29, 2007 - 03:50 AM

I cut the stock fender on my 06 650L back about 4" on the front, still provides good protection from spray and dirt and looks alot less droopy. The high speed fender wobble is pretty much a thing of the past too.

• Bibleman

Posted April 29, 2007 - 04:08 AM

Good info and as usual, a picture is worth a thousand words!

• MindBlower

Posted April 30, 2007 - 06:11 PM

Obviously whether you cut the FRONT of the front fender or the BACK of the front fender is going to determine whether you get wet.

• roadcam

Posted May 01, 2007 - 07:50 AM

I trimmed 5" from the front of my XR650L front fender, and drilled four large holes (1.25") at the rear of the fender for a little airflow to engine ... no splatter, etc. thru mud and water so far ... :applause:

• motomonte

Posted May 01, 2007 - 11:45 AM

I cut mine about 4",very much like the supermoto fenders.there's a little spray when wet but definitley got rid of the high speed buffeting wich is worth the little incovinience.

• martinfan30

Posted May 01, 2007 - 01:34 PM

sweet pic!

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.