Finished the 1/4 throttle mod

13 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted April 28, 2007 - 07:33 AM

Well I went ahead a grounded the nipples off inside the throttle housing and put the throttle all back on and........>>>>> WOW!!!!:p And to think that I hesitated. All I can say is>>>> Hold on to your Ass!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I went back and grounded off a little more off of the pvc on the pull side to make more of a gradual taper>> I grounded from the end of the pull side to about half way up to the middle and tried that and for me that seems to be perfect>>>>> and I still just have to turn the throttle just a little over 1/4 to get it to wide open.:p :cry: :lol: Man this mod is great!!! thanks Mbiker for posting this mod.:applause: And grey! this really helped me on my wrist problem>> now I dont have to use my arm to bring the throttle all the way back.:excuseme: For any one wanting to do this mod go ahead and do it you'll love it and like Mbiker said you will never go back to a stock throttle. And as far as the runing of the motor goes>>> mine is fine >> no bog,no hesitation, no backfiring on decel>>>it runs just like it did only I can get to WOT quicker now and yes it does make you think the bike is faster now.:p

• BergArabia

Posted April 28, 2007 - 08:41 AM

Well I went ahead a grounded the nipples off inside the throttle housing and put the throttle all back on and........>>>>> WOW!!!!:cry: And to think that I hesitated. All I can say is>>>> Hold on to your Ass!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I went back and grounded off a little more off of the pvc on the pull side to make more of a gradual taper>> I grounded from the end of the pull side to about half way up to the middle and tried that and for me that seems to be perfect>>>>> and I still just have to turn the throttle just a little over 1/4 to get it to wide open.:lol: :lol: :lol: Man this mod is great!!! thanks Mbiker for posting this mod.:applause: And grey! this really helped me on my wrist problem>> now I dont have to use my arm to bring the throttle all the way back.:excuseme: For any one wanting to do this mod go ahead and do it you'll love it and like Mbiker said you will never go back to a stock throttle. And as far as the runing of the motor goes>>> mine is fine >> no bog,no hesitation, no backfiring on decel>>>it runs just like it did only I can get to WOT quicker now and yes it does make you think the bike is faster now.:p

:p :p so you beat Murphy after all... Well done mate.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 28, 2007 - 10:49 AM

:applause: :excuseme: so you beat Mruphy after all... Well done mate.

Yea so far! But dont hold your breath because I still have to test it during practice in the morning at the track for the race.......>But as far as I can tell by the way it is now I believe it will do fine,because it twists good,returns good and has excellent response.:p

• adaguy

Posted April 28, 2007 - 12:07 PM

Sounds like there will be a new meaning to "whisky throttle" with that mod

• slacksaw

Posted April 29, 2007 - 09:12 AM

I also just finished this mod, What a great mod and inexpensive. no more cranking the wrist around. love it. although I used 1 1/2 half pvc pipe not coupler, same result. tt rocks :applause:

• dkwok

Posted April 29, 2007 - 12:19 PM

can post some pics pls,
thanks,
:applause:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 29, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Yea so far! But dont hold your breath because I still have to test it during practice in the morning at the track for the race.......>But as far as I can tell by the way it is now I believe it will do fine,because it twists good,returns good and has excellent response.:p

Well I just got back from the race today:ride: and all I have to say is the 1/4 turn throttle worked flawlessly!!!!:p No Problems!!...:applause: :excuseme: This mod really helped me turn the throttle back since I have a bad throttle wrist. Iam going to buy me some stock throttle tubes and make some more and put different curves on them for different track conditions. Everyone needs to thank Mbiker 101 for posting the pics for how to do this mod!!!!:p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jaycycle

Posted April 29, 2007 - 03:34 PM

Hey can you give us a link? Sounds interesting. Whats the bike that you did it to?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 29, 2007 - 03:54 PM

Hey can you give us a link? Sounds interesting. Whats the bike that you did it to?

I done it yesterday on my 06 yz 450f. I dont know how to put up a link but all you have to do is go to the search button and type in 1/4 turn throttle mod and look for Mbiker101 he posted the pics on how to do it that is where I found out how to do it. He posted these pics up about 4 or 5 days ago. I waited till the last minute to do it because I was skiddish of it but said the heck with it and done it and man was I pleased with the result...... Jaycycle! you got to do this mod its simple,cheap and abouve all well worth it.:applause: :excuseme:

• Mbiker_101

Posted April 29, 2007 - 03:55 PM

Welcome to the club Captain :excuseme: you will never want to go back to a normal throttle again!!! Glad you like it.

Here is the link to my original post.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=485653

If you guys are on the fence about installing this mod, then listen to Captain, he is now a believer:applause: :applause:

This is the first thing I do to all my bikes, after you get used to this you wonder why you waited????

• Jaycycle

Posted April 29, 2007 - 04:03 PM

Wow thanks for the great info guys. I will have to look into that. I often find my self thinking that I have to turn my throttle assembly forward more because I hate having to turn my wrist so far back.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 29, 2007 - 04:12 PM

Just what he said^^^^^^^^^^^ And I cant believe I hesitated!!!! Mbiker101 you just dont know how much this helped me! Ever since I dislocated my perilunte bone in my wrist and tore the ligament that held it I thought I would never be able to go to wide open again because of my wrist not coming all the way back..... I owe it to you brother!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jaycycle

Posted April 29, 2007 - 04:17 PM

Well I guess I'll just have to try this won't I! Thanks again.

Really smart idea might I add. Did you make the mod? (Mbiker101)

• Mbiker_101

Posted April 29, 2007 - 06:04 PM

Jay, I learned this trick years ago from the sportbike community, I had a 02 R6 trackbike an 04 R1 and a 01 R1. yamaha actually sells a 1/4 turn race throttle for their sportbikes, $180 bucks!!!!

Once you understand how their product works it's super easy to replicate, it's just a larger diameter tube.

Searched all the motocross forums and didn't find anything or even talk about any faster throttle tubes??? So I just took what I learned from sportbikes and applied to my YZ, took plenty of pics so when you guys start asking questions I would have the pics and the answers. This mod helped me tremendously and wanted to share with forum friends, enjoy.:applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.