Surprisingly little oil debate

21 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted April 28, 2007 - 05:55 AM

Just about every other forum I've been on whether car or motorcycle has lots of oil related threads and debates. I'm surprised how few there are here, considering some of the issues that might be oil related on the XRLs, such as several threads regarding oil starvation to the head and high running temps. I mentioned this a while back and there didn't seem to be too much of a response, but the manual (at least on the 07) says the preferred oil weight is 10-30. I did a search on 10-30 and didn't find one post, so I'm assuming very few guys are using it. I must admit it gives me the creeps to put such a thin oil in there:eek: , but maybe it's the best thing. The oil line going to the head looks pretty thin to me and I've always heard that a thinner oil has better cooling properties.

• needsprayer

Posted April 28, 2007 - 06:34 AM

The L is air cooled. The oil is for lubrication. If you want an oil cooler you need an external unit and possibly a fan.

• goblin127

Posted April 28, 2007 - 02:24 PM

I'm running amsoil 10w40 full synthetic in mine seems to help it shift better. Was going to try a 20w50 this summer,but will see.

• Jon-D

Posted April 28, 2007 - 03:28 PM

I run 20/50 and it seems to work well.

• bork

Posted April 28, 2007 - 05:08 PM

Please dont start an oil war. hehehe I use what is easily found at places like 7/11 or wal-mart etc... 20/50 castrol. You may want to use what is recomended if the bike is fresh. Maybe they have tighter tolerances. I have a 2002 E350 ford van, & it calls for 5/20! I still use it & it has 100k miles on it!

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 28, 2007 - 06:15 PM

Got a Toyota that I use my used(300miles/change on bike) HP4 in and it's got 250K miles on it and still runs great. Same thing in the Datsun truck and it's got 170K on it.

• nate992v

Posted April 28, 2007 - 10:30 PM

I use 10-40 normally, but switch to 20-50 if it's going to be around 100 degrees ambient. I have the SRC oil cooler, also. Temp is always around 250degrees, unless playing is soft sand. Then it'll creep up to 275.

• lhark

Posted April 29, 2007 - 03:34 AM

I've been 20W-50 in everything for the last 25 years or so, from multi-cylinder high rpm road racers to the various thumpers, two stroke transmissions, etc. Never had a problem with it. I currently use Amsoil
20W-50 motorcycle oil, which seems to keep the XRL running cooler, and shifting better. We started all those years ago with Valvoline 20W-50 Racing oil, then Spectro, then Bel-Ray Exp, finally the Amsoil.

You probably don't see too many of these postings, because the subject has been beaten to death so many times. Everybody has their preferences, and opinions, as to brands, weights, and prices. For me, paying a few extra bucks for a good synthetic is worth the money.

• Bibleman

Posted April 29, 2007 - 04:11 AM

All that advise and no fighting - impressive:p I guess it comes down to the same general advise which is "use what you're comfortable with and change it regularly". My biggest concern was that 10-30 recommended in the manual. I think I'll just get 10-40 and call it a day since the manual allows for that too.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 30, 2007 - 08:05 AM

You fools!

You must only run rotella!

Bwuhahahaha!

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TDC71

Posted April 30, 2007 - 08:45 AM

Ditto on the Rotella:thumbsup: I runt the "T" Rotella synthetic, great stuff. Soon as I hit 600 miles I went to Rotella and now am at 6100 miles . No smoke , no oil loss when oil is drained. Love the stuff and the bike shifts great:applause:

Todd

• cleonard

Posted April 30, 2007 - 09:01 AM

I'm with Dave and TDC on the Rotella. I run the 15W-40 stuff and I think that it is great. Much better viscosity retention that the Honda GN4 that I used to use.

Most non-EC oils will be OK for the engine. for me shifting action is one of the most important reasons for which oil to use. I find that the Rotella is very good in this department.

• Bibleman

Posted April 30, 2007 - 03:14 PM

Oh come on now! I finally settled on 10-40 synth and now ya gotta get me going on the Rotella, which up to this point has been my favorite MC oil. Unfortunately, I feel uncomfortable with the 15 being too thick when cold (non synth Rotella) and the 5 being too light (Rotella synth). Aaaagggghhhhh

• cleonard

Posted April 30, 2007 - 03:55 PM

Oh come on now! I finally settled on 10-40 synth and now ya gotta get me going on the Rotella, which up to this point has been my favorite MC oil. Unfortunately, I feel uncomfortable with the 15 being too thick when cold (non synth Rotella) and the 5 being too light (Rotella synth). Aaaagggghhhhh

I don't get it. The W number only relates to low temperature viscosity. The lower the better. They are the same 40 viscosity when hot. The 5W will pump up faster, but I don't really think it matters much unless it's below 20F. I don't ride when it's that cold, so I don't see a reason for the synthetic version.

About the only thing Shell has to say about the 5W-40 version, is to use it when starting a cold engine and the temperature is low.

• Bibleman

Posted April 30, 2007 - 04:11 PM

You know Cleonard you're probably right. I sometimes get carried away:prof: :applause:

• MindBlower

Posted April 30, 2007 - 06:07 PM

All that advise and no fighting - impressive:p I guess it comes down to the same general advise which is "use what you're comfortable with and change it regularly". My biggest concern was that 10-30 recommended in the manual. I think I'll just get 10-40 and call it a day since the manual allows for that too.

There just ain't THAT much difference to sweat it.

• McQueen278

Posted April 30, 2007 - 08:00 PM

One more for the Rotella 15W-40, I run it in most of my bikes. It shifts smooth, and I've had zero problems.....Great Stuff!

• KShow

Posted April 30, 2007 - 08:01 PM

Another vote for Rotella, seems to hold up better viscoscity wise than the Honda stuff, and its alot cheaper so you can afford to change it more often if you want. I change at about 600 DS miles, filter every other time, no problems at all on the 01 650R

• 650_shark

Posted May 01, 2007 - 05:57 AM

Call me a dummy...just to clear up my confusion.. the Rotella used is car/truck oil correct?

• cleonard

Posted May 01, 2007 - 06:18 AM

Call me a dummy...just to clear up my confusion.. the Rotella used is car/truck oil correct?

It's what is known as heavy duty diesel oil. It is made for big rigs that can put on as much as 100,000 miles before an oil change. In order to handle that it has to be much more viscosity stable than normal automotive type oil. It has other positive characteristics like lots of detergent, and a high total base number.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.