Aftermarket clutch?!

7 replies to this topic
  • boer

Posted April 27, 2007 - 09:35 PM

My buddy has a 2006 XR650R. Now with 2000km. We do all our riding in the desert. First clutch failure (slipping so bad we couldn't even move the bike) :p at 1000km. Dealer fixed it and now at 2000km it's slipping again.:p

So after reading the previous post about clutches etc etc I think we are on the right track to replacing the clutch with an aftermarket kit.

The idea is as follows:
1) Barnett dirt digger kit
2) Hinson clutch basket
3) XR's only springs

I have some questions though. :p

The Barnett dirt digger kit seems to be for XRR '00-'05. Will it be the same for '06? Are the XR's only springs really that much better than the Barnett springs? How much better are the Barnett springs compared to stock as we may not get the XR's only springs where we are?

Finally are there any special tools required to replace the clutch components? We have measuring tools (micrometer and vernier), torque wrench, ring spanners and sockets, hammer, punch etc. Anything else?:excuseme:
Any other tips or advice?:applause:

• NavyNuke

Posted April 27, 2007 - 11:16 PM

I put the barnett full kit in my bike. took about 45 minutes, and 2 tools. 8mm and 10 mm socket. didn't even drain the oil.

Kit has everythign you need. pull the cover off, then pull teh 4 10mm bolts with springs under them out.

Pull all the frictions/metals out, keep them in order, and put the new ones in. But the inside and outside frictions are a bit different. so make sure you pay attention as they come out.

Helps to soak your new clutch in oil for an hour first.

• boer

Posted April 28, 2007 - 12:47 AM

I put the barnett full kit in my bike.

So only the dirt digger kit or also the basket from barnett?

• NavyNuke

Posted April 28, 2007 - 02:57 AM

just the dirt digger kit. factory basket. although next time I change it I'll need a basket. the factory one was showing just a bit of wear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Potts228

Posted April 28, 2007 - 08:03 AM

For me, I always keep enough slack in the cable and I only use the clutch in tight sections or if needed. If you don't give the cable enough slack your clutch will actually be engaged when it gets hot. This seems to be a BIG problem with 650R setup. If you give it enough slack, even if your are a pro rider, your clutch should last. I've got about 2K on mine and this bike has pre-run the Baja 1000 in 05' several Baja trips on 06' and several desert rides and also raced in the Baja 250 the stock clutch is still good.

I think the key is to not use it! I know this sounds odd but you can shift the pigs with no problem without the clutch in most situations. You can feel when the timing is right. Of course under hard loads on the engine I do use the clutch.

Lastly, I have used aftermarket clutch kits in the past and I always go back to OEM! The factories spend thousand of hours testing and Honda always makes great stuff. I would go OEM and use some heavier clutch springs.

2 cents!

• boer

Posted April 29, 2007 - 05:09 AM

will the '00-'05 kit be the same for '06? Are the clutches unchanged?:excuseme: Anybody know.:applause:

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 29, 2007 - 11:46 AM

will the '00-'05 kit be the same for '06? Are the clutches unchanged?:excuseme: Anybody know.:applause:

I would imagine its the same; the BRP has remained pretty unchanged for years.

• Tingsborg

Posted April 30, 2007 - 01:01 PM

I'm on my 3rd clutch set and into my 22nd thousand miles. ( I'm handling the clutch wrong sometimes). The first 2 sets were original Hondas. They are quite easy to "burn" (my xperience) . Now I'm using Barnetts clutch set together with an extra metal plate since some time ago. Nowadays I have no problem with the clutch. However the smoothness are since long gone now :applause: I have a got a clutch that can take mistreatment for long time and always works but in the other way the clutch is just on and off, no feeling. If you only go desert racing it should work fine.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.