Indicators on a XR600R

3 replies to this topic
  • geoff587

Posted April 27, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Just aquired a 97 XR600R in road trim but with no direction indicators, read a few posts about so i assume its feasibleto fit them, but where do you take the power from ? . Bike fitted with Headlight, tail light and a horn.

EXcellent site, used it when i had the DR650, now that was a mother f**k*r to kickstart.

GW

• mikey 4410

Posted April 27, 2007 - 11:43 AM

mine is the same.i have just bought a xr600 and has horn lights but no indicators.i aint to worried doe.the bike has an mot so it cant be a nesecity

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted April 27, 2007 - 12:56 PM

Just aquired a 97 XR600R in road trim but with no direction indicators, read a few posts about so i assume its feasibleto fit them, but where do you take the power from ? . Bike fitted with Headlight, tail light and a horn.

EXcellent site, used it when i had the DR650, now that was a mother f**k*r to kickstart.

GW

Well it depends. Over here on this side of the pond XR600's came with a single lighting coil. It is somewhat marginal on total watts, but can support what you need. There are also aftermarket stators that make in excess of 200 watts split into two independant 100+ watt coils.

Next does it have battery or not. If no battery then you have a AC only system. You can tap into the headlight or the source for the horn. The problem here is that the stator output is low at idle. There is not really enough juice to properly run a thermal flasher and the lights will be dimmer as well.

If you ride on the street I think that a DC system with a battery is a good idea. In most (all?) of the US a battery is a requirement for street legality. The battery must be able to keep the tail light on for 15 to 30 minutes. The battery will also power the turn singnals properly. LED signals use a lot less electricity and are still pretty bright.

My XR600 had a Baja Designs kit installed when I got the bike. The rear signals were installed by drilling a hole in the rear fender. The fronts have a little sheet metal braket that is on the two top fork clamp bolts.

Horns use a lot of juice. On an AC system they usually don't work so well. You may already have a battery. Take a look under your seat for it.

• geoff587

Posted April 28, 2007 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for that comprehensive answer, definately no battery fitted and a AC Regulator. Will look at running the indicators from the horn and just shouting at people who get in the way .

Thanks again

Geoff W

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.