2000 WR400F - painful ride, ideas?

2 replies to this topic
  • sportwrf

Posted April 27, 2007 - 06:23 AM

I have purchased a 2000 WR400F that is real clean. The guy that I purchased it from stripped it right back removing all the road gear and putting a YZ tank and plastics on it. I also own a 2003 WR250F. Every time I ride the WR400F it shakes the hell out of me and tends to get really bad headshake under heavy throttle over bumpy track (on the local race track). The 250F handles perfectly and does not have these issues. I can jump heaps further on the 250F and do much quicker lap times. I am wondering if the headshake is most likely caused by the suspension setup? Maybe the rear shock is too hard or the front forks are set too hard. I am looking for some responses on if this is a known issue with the 400's? Getting off the 250F, I felt fine. After riding 2 laps on the 400F I had to stop as my shoulder was acheing and my hands were cramping. I have never had to hold on so tight in my life.

Any thoughts on why the 400 would be handling so bad? It corners fine, and pretty much the same as the 250F. It is just over bumpy stuff at speed that it gets bad shake..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrThumper

Posted April 27, 2007 - 12:13 PM

I noticed that the old 400's and the first 3 426's ('00, '01, '02) all have a little headshake, basically a scary feeling in sand at hi speeds. I have an '00 w/ a steering stabilizer that took care of it. I beleive its just a steep head angle that was taken care of in '03. One of my freinds w/ an '02 changed out the triple clamp with a different offset and his problem went away.

• sportwrf

Posted April 27, 2007 - 10:30 PM

I guess it is the expensive option of a steering stabilizer that I need to look into.. I was hoping that it was not an issue with the early WR400's.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.