Another jetting question, but a simple one

6 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted April 27, 2007 - 05:21 AM

I'm wondering if the main and/or pilot jets can be changed while the carb is on the bike. Mine is apart right now so I can't tell, but if I decide my jetting is off I'd like to know if I have to take the carb off again.:applause:

• goblin127

Posted April 27, 2007 - 05:52 AM

I tried and couldn't complete it,but thats not to say someone hasn't. It's just way easier to do off the bike. Trust me.

• Adamsvh67

Posted April 27, 2007 - 06:01 AM

Much easier to do off the bike. When it's still installed on the bike, it's a real bugger to get the plastic slosh baffle re-installed properly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Billahjack

Posted April 27, 2007 - 08:26 AM

Main is easy on the bike. I have swapped out the pilot on the bike but you have to be really careful that the the float pivot pin does not fall out. If it does, then you will probably have to remove the carb. Just be aware of it and don't move the float much.

To make it easier, loosen the rubber boots and twist the carb so you can access the lower side (float bowl) from the left hand side of the bike.

If you have a set of small metric sockets, then it is really easy for the main. I still used a wrench for the pilot.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 27, 2007 - 08:36 AM

I have done it, its not too bad if you

a) replace the philipps head screws with allen screws
:applause: pull the RH sidepanel
c) temp. pull the rear master cylinder resevoir (no need to drain it)
d) temp. pull the heat shield.

This gives you just enough room, but you may need to cut down the allen key you use a little.

• DiabloCaballo

Posted April 27, 2007 - 05:14 PM

Just loosen the boots and give it a little twist. you should be able to replace both jets without a problem. The needle's a little tuffer but completely doable. Have fun :applause:

• Bibleman

Posted April 27, 2007 - 05:41 PM

OK, thanks for all the advise. Hopefully I won't have to fiddle with it after I get it together. :applause:

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.