2007 WR450F Fuel Economy

38 replies to this topic
  • markhughesj

Posted April 26, 2007 - 09:58 PM

I have done a few rides and have realised that my standard setup 07 WR450F has poor fuel economy compared to my 02 WR250F. I know the bikes are chalk and cheese so that I would post a thread and see how others are going.

I haven't done any mods to filter box, exhaust, jetting etc. The bike is completely stock.

I generally do rides which include a large amount of up and down hill forest trails which vary from open to tight single trail. The most recent ride was at Mt Mee which is quiet steep and rough in places. I led the ride so rode relatively smoothly and didn't have extreme dust to contend with and racing other riders.

My fuel consumption was a full tank for 68kms of riding. I was hoping for 85 - 90kms at the worst.

So, anybody had any similar experiences or got any suggestions. I have just finished reading the 2007 WR450F mods Sticky and got a lot of useful info for future plans. All the motivation for mods related to speed/torque etc and not fuel economy.

Afterall, you can only ride as far as your fuel range. And, everybody talks about cutting down weight so if range can be increased without fitting an aftermarket fuel tank and increasing weight then we can all ride further and faster.

Mark H

• jams229

Posted April 27, 2007 - 06:50 AM

Hate to say it , but your fuel economy will only worsen after you do the mods.
The fuel tank on this bike is woefully too small, especially for an "enduro" bike. Even if you are successful in "lightening" your bike, your fuel economy will not improve much. Unfortunately, an aftermarket tank is really your only option.:applause:

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 27, 2007 - 07:25 AM

The fuel tank on this bike is woefully too small, especially for an "enduro" bike. Even if you are successful in "lightening" your bike, your fuel economy will not improve much. Unfortunately, an aftermarket tank is really your only option.:excuseme:

Yeah fuel range on my stock 07' tank sucks compared to my 04', 01' & 99' :p

I was running 3rd last weekend in a hare scrambles, probably about 40 miles in and I run out of gas, get passed by 4th place while switching to reserve and passed by 5th place while in the pits re-fueling :applause:

Time for an aftermarket tank but still waiting for one that does not require YZ shrouds :p

• WGP

Posted April 27, 2007 - 07:49 AM

When I race I turn the petcock to reserve at the start of the race, then you will never need to stop to hit reserve....:applause:

• msgbean

Posted April 27, 2007 - 09:25 AM

My fuel consumption was a full tank for 68kms of riding. I was hoping for 85 - 90kms at the worst.

Mark H

That milage sounds really bad. I have an 07 and get about 48kms (30 miles)per gallon when riding trails and about 40 (25) when I'm riding when riding hard. I have all the mods done and I can get between 80-105kms (50-65mi) per tank depending on how hard I ride.

You might want to make sure you are not loosing fuel out of your vent hose.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 27, 2007 - 10:51 AM

When I race I turn the petcock to reserve at the start of the race, then you will never need to stop to hit reserve....:applause:

I thought of that but am not sure of what my range is for reserve... on a 12 mile or more course I would be feeling nervous about running out altogether:banghead:

• dangermouse007

Posted April 27, 2007 - 02:03 PM

Have to say guys that my fuel is really good, about as good as my 03, once you get a good jet set up, it all runs really good... the UK WR's are so so so so so rich... but once jetted all is ok... running a 134 main Jet 3/4 turn on Fuel Screw..can't remember what the Needle was set to... I used the Dynojet kit.. and the bike spent a few hours on the Dyno finding a good setting and my setting rocks, really really good power delivery and great drive... we worked more on Drive then top end....

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 27, 2007 - 02:51 PM

running a 134 main Jet 3/4 turn on Fuel Screw......

A 134 main !?!?!

In the US they come delivered lean with a 160 main :applause:

Well if it works for you....

• markhughesj

Posted April 28, 2007 - 01:48 AM

The fuel tank on this bike is woefully too small, especially for an "enduro" bike. Even if you are successful in "lightening" your bike, your fuel economy will not improve much. Unfortunately, an aftermarket tank is really your only option.:applause:

I'm not aiming to lighten my bike. Just avoiding making it heavy unneccessarily. I'll see what other have to say re jetting. Bigger tanks seems like part of the solution.

Mark H

• markhughesj

Posted April 28, 2007 - 01:52 AM

You might want to make sure you are not loosing fuel out of your vent hose.

I think this might actually be part of my problem. Surely the one way valve works! Then again, the original air filter cage was faulty so why not the fuel tank breather valve as well.

I have fitted an MSC Titan Steering Dampner and the standard fuel hose breather is in the way of the dampner mount so I guess I will buy an aftermarket valve and carry more extra fuel on my next ride amd see how it goes.

Then make some jetting changes.

Mark H

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Humunn

Posted April 28, 2007 - 06:50 AM

I also came off of an 02 WR250 to an 07 450. My 250 got between 55 and 65 mpg consistently with all the mods done. First ride on my 07 I got 37!!! And that was mostly easy riding. I was shocked but since then (after reading many similar posts) I've settled in on the fact that I will have range issues I didn't have before. I've done all the mods, including a 3.1 IMS tank, and on my last relatively high speed ride of 150 miles I got 44 MPG. Better, but still not the 60+ MPG from the 250.
Greg

• don319

Posted April 28, 2007 - 09:42 AM

My 07 is spitting fuel out the vent hose. Check the back of your front fender to see if it is coated with fuel residue.

• markhughesj

Posted April 28, 2007 - 10:03 PM

My 07 is spitting fuel out the vent hose. Check the back of your front fender to see if it is coated with fuel residue.

It has a bit but I thought it was a result of my full tank not when it is a bit lower later in the ride. I think I'll try a different vent and report back to you all.

Thanks for the advice!

Keep it coming.

Mark H

• xrmarty

Posted April 28, 2007 - 10:15 PM

A 134 main !?!?!

In the US they come delivered lean with a 160 main :applause:

Well if it works for you....

He must be talking about a 250 or something

• dangermouse007

Posted May 01, 2007 - 01:39 AM

Nope ... The bike is running a 134.. and it rides like a dream, can post Dyno charts if required... but she has more torque more mid but the the same BHP as stock.. also running a FMF Powercore 4 Slip on ...

• Murray Dorward

Posted May 01, 2007 - 07:59 AM

I get +-70km on the stock tank and I ride it hard. Changed to a 12L IMS tank and dont run out of fuel any more. Should be able to get +-115km now.

mUZ
:applause: :p :excuseme:

• dangermouse007

Posted May 02, 2007 - 03:42 AM

You saying I ride like a girl Muz ??:applause: :applause: :p :p :p :p

• Murray Dorward

Posted May 02, 2007 - 07:36 AM

Girl ? Ye thats probably right. Sounds as if you free wheel that bike every where or you are just use to the speed of a combine harvestor living in Summerset (ha ha).

I think your dino tuning did the world of good for fuel economy. I must look into getting mine tuned up to be more economic.

Cheers

Muz
:applause: :p :applause:

• TheBlackSheep

Posted May 02, 2007 - 11:48 AM

Uhhhhhhh...............You guys lost me with all those numbers and math. I have done all the mods and I get around 40 miles per tank.........Bahhh

• Randy Nilles

Posted May 02, 2007 - 06:49 PM

I will figure it out and let you know.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.