How hot should the clutch cover be?

4 replies to this topic
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 26, 2007 - 06:55 PM

I did a search and didnt find what I was looking for. When I start my bike, 06 450 F, the clutch cover gets pretty hot fairly quickly. Its not so hot that I cant hold my hand on it, but pretty close. It gets up to temp within 30 seconds or so. Does this sound about right. I have a Rekluse and use the bigger required gasket. I am just a little nervous because I had a screw come out of the rekluse pressure plate last week and put a grove into my clutch cover and filled my filter with aluminum shavings. After cleaning the mess up, changing my oil numerous times and checking the clutch for more shavings, I blew a gasket about 5 minutes into my ride last night ( 1st ride since the last time I had the cover off). I am guessing I just tried to reuse the gasket one to many times, but none the less that is why I am a little jumpy right now. Any help , as always, will be appreciated.

• 642MX

Posted April 26, 2007 - 07:07 PM

Don't worry about it. My clutch cover gets really warm to. I also have a Rekluse.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 26, 2007 - 07:19 PM

I was pretty sure I was just being a little biatch, but I thought I would consult the lords of TT first. :excuseme: :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted April 27, 2007 - 07:31 AM

try some two2cool oil additive....works really well with the rekluse,smoother engagement and cooler:thumbsup:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 28, 2007 - 10:25 PM

I guess I wasnt just worried for nothing. When I had put the new gasket on I did put on a thicker gasket, but it must not have been thick enough.:applause: I got one form my buddy and he told me it was a Rekluse gasket but it was just thin enough to allow the Rekluse pressure plate to 'rub' on the cover. I had noticed that my Rekluse wasnt 'acting' right, it was stalling some and the cover was still hot. So I took the cover off and saw the grooves and aluminum shavings in there. Luckily I had an actual Rekluse cover with me so I swapped it out and bingo, things got back to normal right away. And now it doesnt heat up anywhere near like it was before. :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.