Tire Choices

7 replies to this topic
  • Drinkn_Buddy

Posted February 02, 2002 - 11:14 PM

OK, I have figured out that the stock dunlops on my 250F are pretty much junk, especially the front tire... the thing wont stay planted.

Anyway, what front and rear combinations would you all suggest. The soil here is silt/clay and when it gets wet, which it is most of the time, it gets real nasty. will need something that will grip in gumbo but will also have descent clean out.

I know that it would be impossable to find one tire that would be good in all situations but i am hoping that i can find a happy meadium.

• Ron_S

Posted February 03, 2002 - 02:24 AM

Never rode gumbo mud before, I've walked in it, Dunlop 756's seem to work in a lot of situations. You are correct, the 739's are poor.

• Scott_in_KC

Posted February 03, 2002 - 06:11 AM

S12 Michelins front & rear!! Just got a new set for mine, and will mount them today hopefully. I had a set on my Husaberg and loved them. They wear like iron. And the eat up the slime!! More than adequate in dry conditions, but man do the excel in those slick creek crossings & muddy banks.

• SoCalWR426

Posted February 03, 2002 - 06:22 AM

Ditto: All above sugestions...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drinkn_Buddy

Posted February 03, 2002 - 10:11 PM

thanks for the feedback guys

• lewichris

Posted February 04, 2002 - 05:05 AM

IRC M5 for all those soft and loamy situations.

• RonO

Posted February 04, 2002 - 06:11 AM

My bike is only 2 weeks old and I found I hate the tires already. The mud this weekend was greasy to say the least. The 739 seems to pack up then get squirrely everwhere. The places where I ride are usually woods (soft dirt and leaves), a few places with mud, then I'm gonna be street legal. Riding on the street will probably be the least used. Which tires seems to work best in the mud and woods...S-12? 756? any others?

• Paul_in_Wa

Posted February 08, 2002 - 09:24 AM

In the mud and woods (roots) I run M12 front and S12 rear. These tires are the best. I ran and swore by the 756 for years, but tried the 12s, they are far superior. The 12s are better than the 756 in that the rubber compound is a little softer so they don't slip on the roots and rocks as much as the hard 756. In the mud and loose dirt, the 12s match (if not exceed) the 756 easy.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.