*Newbie questions*

2 replies to this topic
  • jaredc28

Posted April 26, 2007 - 11:04 AM


Some help would be appreciated on the following as I am not a mechanic:

*When talking about engine work what is meant by the top end, and bottom end?

*Triple Clamp: Is this the piece that connects the forks to the frame? And is a fork brace different from a triple clamp? What is the name of the part that clamps the handlebars to the frame?

*Splitting the cases: What does this mean?


Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MartinDKtm

Posted April 26, 2007 - 11:46 AM


Ok some answer,
first questions...Sometimes is the upper (cylinder and head), somtimes its the bottom (Transmission/crankshaft). But if you do a bottom end you must remove the top end first.

Second: Yes its the triple clamp that hold everything. Fork/handlebar/to the frame.

Third: Doing a bottom end.

  • martinfan30

Posted April 26, 2007 - 11:50 AM


welcome, the top end is cylinder, piston , rings, cyl. head, valves, cam shaft etc. the bottom is clutch, transmission, crankshaft etc. splitting the cases is pulling apart the bottom end to access transmission, crank or clutch for overhaul. yes on triple clamp conecting forks to frame, afork brace is a brace that clamps the forks together just above the tire for rigidity.the handlebars dont mount to the frame, they mount on the top triple clamp thru "risers".

Related Content


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.