Some FYI on '06 steering bearings....

8 replies to this topic
  • Polar_Bus

Posted April 26, 2007 - 04:53 AM

We are getting our bikes out of winter hibernation, and my buddy with an '06 tells me his steering is hard and "notchy" feeling. I can almost tell without even looking what the issue is going to be. I get his bike apart, and low and behold the upper stem bearing is rusted, and partially siezed. The Yami legacy of "no grease from the factory" continues. His upper bearing is junk, the lower was rust gunked, but saveable, and the upper bearing race is galled and rusted also. So guys, take some time, tear your newer YZ down and GREASE EVERYTHING now , or break out your wallet later....

• andy250

Posted April 26, 2007 - 08:00 AM

Make sure to use the '07 bearing/seal when you replace it. The '06 seal was not redesigned for the new frame and allows water by...

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=432327

• andy250

Posted April 26, 2007 - 11:03 AM

Nevermind. Looks like the part hasn't changed in '07, or since 1994 for that matter.

93332-00068-00 BEARING
4EW-23416-00-00 COVER, BALL RACE 2

• on2wheelz

Posted April 26, 2007 - 05:32 PM

they told me at the dealer when i bought my 06 to grease that and swingarm and linkage bearing frequently i guess its a known problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted April 26, 2007 - 05:45 PM

This is true for every bike manufacturer. No matter what the bike is, you gotta grease it.

• AZcrRider

Posted April 26, 2007 - 05:57 PM

Here in AZ, we can do pretty well about every 6-8 mos. on steering stem and linkage, but elsewhere? I am sure alot more often (3-5 mos.) depending on usage. If I rode in a "wet", or especially cold/seasonal state, I would probably do it every season.

• Polar_Bus

Posted April 27, 2007 - 01:17 AM

I have already started dissasembleing my '07 and wadding my special bearing and bushing recipie (50:50 mix of Bel Ray grease and anitseeze) for all my linkage parts. I have also completely removed all the bodywork, triple clamp, and rear axle adjuster bolts for a coating of antiseeze. Been doing this new bike ritual for the past 20 years....

I don't have a lot of time to ride, so when I do get out on the track I DON'T want any problems.....

• Yamahafan

Posted April 27, 2007 - 05:15 AM

So guys, take some time, tear your newer YZ down and GREASE EVERYTHING now , or break out your wallet later....

2006 YZ450F - Been there, done that (I had the exact same problem due to previous owner).:applause:

Dirtbikes do not like to be put away wet - especially if you use a power washer. I only powerwash if I have caked on mud, otherwise I use a hose.

• ryangavin

Posted June 01, 2007 - 09:25 PM

Looks like Yamaha has superseeded the top steering stem bearing on 07 Yz450 F. I just replaced mine and it now has a seal built into the bearing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.