2000 WR400 no timing mark

8 replies to this topic
  • Fusedbrain

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:46 PM

Guys,

I just did rings and piston on my WR400's engine. I'm about to do the timing. My shop manual says that I should be able to see a line on the rotor through the hole on the rotor cover. Mine doesn't have a line so I'm not sure how I can line it up.

All it has is an arrow and the letters HI. The arrow is horizontal so not sure that it's of any help. Have any of you seen this before? I could use some advice here.

Thanks,

Fusedbrain

• scott_h

Posted April 25, 2007 - 10:17 PM

The "I" in the "HI" is actually the TDC mark. Line up the "I" with the notch for TDC and ignore the H and arrow.

• Fusedbrain

Posted April 26, 2007 - 01:25 AM

Ok I will line up with the I. Is there a reason why some models use the HI instead of the line? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning. Thanks for the information.

Fusedbrain

• jbrooks26

Posted April 26, 2007 - 04:11 AM

They all have the HI, none of the WR's have just a line. I don't know why they have not updated the manual with this information, I would venture to guess that this is the most frequently asked question when it comes to timing your motor for the first time. Silly Yamaha, great bikes though!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fusedbrain

Posted April 26, 2007 - 12:33 PM

I just wanted to thank you for your time and the information. I was completly sent for a loop when I didn't see the line

Oh and yes I love that WR, it's the perfect bike for me.

Cheers,

Fusedbrain

• tcmII

Posted April 30, 2007 - 10:53 AM

The "H" is used for dynamic timing check with a timing light. Although I don't know what page it's on, I know it's in the manual.

• jbrooks26

Posted April 30, 2007 - 11:49 AM

The "H" is used for dynamic timing check with a timing light. Although I don't know what page it's on, I know it's in the manual.

AH!!! Now that you mention it I do remember reading that somewhere. I still believe the manual could be more clear when setting TDC. Thanks for the correction, I hate handing out bad info.

Josh

• Fusedbrain

Posted April 30, 2007 - 03:21 PM

Hi there,

You guys have been very helpfull.

So I still line up the I for the TDC??

Dynamic is with a timing gun?

Thanks,

Fusedbrain.

• jbrooks26

Posted April 30, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Yes, that is correct. Good luck

Josh

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.