I have an Idea

9 replies to this topic
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted April 25, 2007 - 04:55 PM

I was thinking remember when honda had an optional 20in front wheel? what about putting a 20incher on a 06 or 07 yamaha 450? Would this not steepen the rake of the bike and have a positive effect on the handling of this bike? I mean peaplle are blowing alot of $ to change there offset 1mm [ me included] what do you guys think?

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:11 PM

The 20" wheel will only lower the bike about 5mm:

http://www.thumperta...126#post4646126

Changing the trail by reducing the offset has a different effect than changing the head angle by lowering the front or raising the rear.

• 642MX

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:30 PM

You would be better off buying the adjustable axle that Rekluse sells. The Rekluse axle allows you to move the wheel closer to the frame.

• ____Kurt____

Posted April 25, 2007 - 07:24 PM

yea but i hear that it is only for testing (MXA magazine) and not a perminent fix because it can move or sumtin they were saying. thats only what i read so... they have been 99% on so far

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 25, 2007 - 08:26 PM

yea but i hear that it is only for testing (MXA magazine) and not a perminent fix because it can move or sumtin they were saying. thats only what i read so... they have been 99% on so far

I just read that review in an old issue as I was sitting in the "library" this morning. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted April 27, 2007 - 08:01 AM

I just read that review in an old issue as I was sitting in the "library" this morning. :applause:

very efficient use of time...:excuseme: :p

• The Italian Stallion

Posted April 27, 2007 - 03:26 PM

You would be better off buying the adjustable axle that Rekluse sells. The Rekluse axle allows you to move the wheel closer to the frame.

What my Idea was about is changing the rake not the trail wich everyone seems to agree is an issue with this bike.Alot of peaple say that an offset change does little for this bike. IMO it does although not like It did on the 02 to 04 hondas. So I beleive it is a rake issue. But the best set up I have felt so far is 22mm offset [I know about the applied blind tests but the the 22s feel good to me] Forks raised 10mm above the clamps, a good front tire of course, and the sag at 95mm This is the best this bike will turn, and it is not nervouse whatsoever.Now you can't pull the forks up much more than this because of the machined areas on your forks and putting a different link on your shock might have negative effects on your shock.but I have to wonder with my setup and a 20in wheel my bike might turn like a suzuki.

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2007 - 04:18 PM

I understood the trail vs. rake distinction, but my point is and was that because the tire size goes to 90 instead of 80 in the 20" wheel, the switch to the smaller rim only nets about a 5mm lowering of the front end, which can be done at the fork for free.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted April 28, 2007 - 11:48 AM

I understood the trail vs. rake distinction, but my point is and was that because the tire size goes to 90 instead of 80 in the 20" wheel, the switch to the smaller rim only nets about a 5mm lowering of the front end, which can be done at the fork for free.

I Know what your saying gray. I mean I already have my forks at the max they can go without going past the machined areas on the forks and that is 10mm up. And I love the results I just have to wonder how it would be with another 5mm drop that a 20 would give.Just curiuos what is your setup?

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2007 - 01:26 PM

Forks up about 7 mm, stock offset, sag at 95-97. Getting the bars high enough and finding the right front tire are pretty important, too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.