slipper clutch 07 yz 450

15 replies to this topic
  • H 17 Racing

Posted April 25, 2007 - 03:27 PM

Has anyone used a slipper clutch on a new yz 450. Do they make a big difference. I am looking at a fmf ceb slipper clutch and thats a lot of money to be spending if it dont make a reasonable difference. Any info would be great. Thanks

• Stripes123

Posted April 25, 2007 - 07:14 PM

I'll be installing a STM in my '06 next week and will let you know how it goes

• hall1012

Posted April 25, 2007 - 11:01 PM

Sorry guys, but I have no idea what a slipper clutch is. Can somebody explain???:applause:

• H 17 Racing

Posted April 26, 2007 - 05:39 PM

The catalog says it decreases lap times, inhibits engine stalling, increases holeshots, and helps create 'natural' jumping caracteristics by decreasing rear wheel drag in throttle off conditions.

I am unsure of if it only slips when you let off the gas or does it slip while on the power also to get the power to the ground. :applause:

• genEric

Posted April 26, 2007 - 05:46 PM

I would like to hear some info also, like does it work as soon as you lift or is it more like a recluse and needs the rpm's to drop first?
I thought the slipper will still stall cause it is like a regular clutch except slips on decel and not accel?

• Murmy26x

Posted April 26, 2007 - 05:51 PM

Slipper clutch works by automatically slipping the clutch on decel by the same amount everytime via internal springs.

It reduces the amount of engine breaking, but does it automatically, after a few rides you can't hardly tell it's there. In Supermoto they're amazing because it slips the same amount everytime, which is near impossible by just using your finger. It also keeps the rear tire from chattering and upsetting the suspension and subsequently the chassis.

It only works on Decel, but I believe there was a Ducati Monster that had a "gripper" clutch in which it worked in reverse and therefore effected Accel instead of Decel.

In motocross I could see it making a huge difference on tracks that have alot of square edge bumps entering the corners. With the extra free wheeling its amazing how much more it will let the suspension work. But for $1000 it's a hefty investment.

I just ordered a Hinson for my 07 YZ 450. But I race Dirt Track and TT's mostly. I'll let you know how hard it was to install, and what it was like on the track. Although I've supermoto'd with them for years.

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2007 - 07:57 PM

When the Honda V65 1100cc V-4 first came out, it caused a considerable stir. It was the first showroom stock motorcycle capable of mid-11 second quarter miles, and at that, it was nearly a second quicker than anything else you could buy. Cycle World said that calling it a high performance street bike was like "calling a 12 inch switchblade a pocket knife. While it's true enough, it completely misses the point." The bike would also have been capable of almost locking the rear tire at high rpm in the lower gears when the throttle was chopped had Honda not built a slipper clutch into it.

In that clutch, the boss was split slightly more than in half, with the inside half on a conventional spline to the mainshaft, and the outer half on a one way clutch, so that under power all the plates would hold, but on decel, only the inner ones could. This reduced the amount of driveline snatch the bike was subjected to. As far as I know, it was the first factory installed "slipper".

• aford541

Posted April 26, 2007 - 09:05 PM

When the Honda V65 1100cc V-4 first came out, it caused a considerable stir. It was the first showroom stock motorcycle capable of mid-11 second quarter miles, and at that, it was nearly a second quicker than anything else you could buy. Cycle World said that calling it a high performance street bike was like "calling a 12 inch switchblade a pocket knife. While it's true enough, it completely misses the point." The bike would also have been capable of almost locking the rear tire at high rpm in the lower gears when the throttle was chopped had Honda not built a slipper clutch into it.

In that clutch, the boss was split slightly more than in half, with the inside half on a conventional spline to the mainshaft, and the outer half on a one way clutch, so that under power all the plates would hold, but on decel, only the inner ones could. This reduced the amount of driveline snatch the bike was subjected to. As far as I know, it was the first factory installed "slipper".

Exellent explaination Gray :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Idaho_Stas

Posted April 27, 2007 - 07:23 AM

Grey... you continue to amaze. How do you know all this stuff??? :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2007 - 09:41 AM

Am I really supposed to try to answer that? :applause:

• vs779

Posted April 27, 2007 - 09:48 AM

I rode my 07 stock and another 07 with the slipper clutch back to back and if he did not tell me it was in there I would have never known.

• 426_kid

Posted April 27, 2007 - 09:48 AM

yes you are cuz theres prolly like a secret site somewhere.. or your just a genius... lol who knows...

• airboy808

Posted April 27, 2007 - 09:54 AM

in europe and some people in the states run the rekluse auto clutch. like below:
<-- HuskySM450r wrote:
'm running a Rekluse in my 04 SM450R, which I ride on the street. It takes a little while to get used to it. Generally you can brake deeper and carry a taller gear through tight turns. I have the stall speed set at medium high to allow the engine to pick up some revs before the clutch locks up. It will still wheelie no problem and I get 2nd gear holeshots from every stop light

-->

so that might be another option especially if you ride trails with your supermoto

• Stripes123

Posted May 02, 2007 - 06:11 AM

H-17,

I installed the STM in my '06 last night and it was a breeze. Other than not having the proper tool to hold the clutch while torqueing the nut it was a breeze. Probably less than 1 hour from start to finish and I was taking my time.

• probracing1

Posted May 02, 2007 - 07:25 AM

When I first starting reading Gray's posts I thought "he must of stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night" now, I think he must actually live in a Holiday Inn Express...:applause:

• Wiz636

Posted May 02, 2007 - 01:09 PM

Grey... you continue to amaze. How do you know all this stuff??? :applause:

As the Waterbay might say "my...my mama says he be da Debil"

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.