WR426 v. YZ426...diff. bike, or same defects?

6 replies to this topic
  • YZ426_Kicks

Posted January 21, 2001 - 05:34 AM

Hey There!

My name is Randy, and I need some help. I have a 2000 YZ426 that I bought in August 2000, and with less than 7 clockable, non-competitive trail riding, they bike is completely useless. The clutch is completely gone, compliments of the apparent woes that have struck this model. Whereas I am no Yammie basher, and I do really like this bike, my confidence in Yamaha has been completely destroyed. I am trying to get them to resolve this issue with no success. Is the WR any different ( 2000 or 2001 model ) or are you all experiencing the same issues?

I enjoy my Yamaha, just not how Im being treated. Im trying to find the right replacement if it comes to that, and my choices aren't very good.

Any wisdom you can offer would be helpful. Im new to this sport, so knowledge isn't that great, and please take it easy on me in reply. The other side has beat me up tremendously!

Thanks!

Randy
YZ426 Kicks

• MN_Kevin

Posted January 21, 2001 - 05:51 AM

Randy,
Having raced 2-strokes in MX for many years, I just LOVED fanning the clutch. I would normally go into berms a gear high, then fan the crap out of the clutch on the way out. It worked great for me, and being a Honda, had a very bullet proof clutch. I would venture to guess you have been abusing the clutch. These bikes like the clutch for starting out, shifting clean and that is about it. My best advice is to swap out the clutch parts with a RECOMMENDED aftermarket setup, MAYBE a Hinson basket, and POSSIBLY gear it down one or two teeth on the rear sprocket. You'll have to do like I do, don't ride it like a 2-stroke Honda. These bikes are VERY RELIABLE and I AM a die hard Honda fan.

------------------
'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

• YZ426_Kicks

Posted January 21, 2001 - 09:05 AM

Originally posted by NH Kevin:
Randy,
Having raced 2-strokes in MX for many years, I just LOVED fanning the clutch. I would normally go into berms a gear high, then fan the crap out of the clutch on the way out. It worked great for me, and being a Honda, had a very bullet proof clutch. I would venture to guess you have been abusing the clutch. These bikes like the clutch for starting out, shifting clean and that is about it. My best advice is to swap out the clutch parts with a RECOMMENDED aftermarket setup, MAYBE a Hinson basket, and POSSIBLY gear it down one or two teeth on the rear sprocket. You'll have to do like I do, don't ride it like a 2-stroke Honda. These bikes are VERY RELIABLE and I AM a die hard Honda fan.

Hey NHKevin,

Thanks for replying. I too would think I was abusing the clutch with one exception. I have had others ride this bike from the first day I had it. From the get go, all have said there is a problem with the clutch, and its just gone down hill from there. The YZ of 2000 has had literally hundred's of clutchs self-destruct under the tenure of riders far exceeding my abilities. So I know that I am not to cause for this issue.

Knowing that the YZ and WR share a lot of the same parts, I didn't know if the two shared the same issues. I don't want to give up my 426, but if Yamaha doesnt come through and fix this, I guess I'll take the loss, sell it for what I can, and go to one of the other manufacturers. I don't want that, but somehow I feel Im gonna be forced to.

Thanks!

Randy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fred

Posted January 21, 2001 - 09:05 AM

from what I hear at the races, the 2000's 426 is junk, lots of problems..
I feel the best all around bike is the ktm300.
I have a 99 wr400 nice bike but, I am much faster in the woods on the 300. Its light never breaks down, just start it up and go..
the yamaha 4 strokes are very top heavy..
just my two cents..

• Taffy

Posted January 21, 2001 - 10:14 PM

yz426 kicks

we're a lot luckier over on this side. no gearbox failures, no rear wheel failures, no clutch failures. the gearbox & the clutch are different to the YZ. our rear tyres come with a softer sidewall to absorb the hammering effect, we also change gear up to a lot lower revs in the next gear. the equivelant of you using just 1st, 3rd & 5th let's pretend.

the bikes are top heavy for RACING. to everyone else their great. i enduro mine & i've made many modifications which i enjoy doing. however the bike is essentially a good one since y2k out the crate.

Taffy

• Kevin

Posted January 21, 2001 - 12:33 PM

I have a 00 WR400 for desert racing, a 99 YZ400 for practice and fun, and 01 YZ426 for GP and MX, currently racing the WORCS series and Whiplash races in AZ. All three bikes have been bullet proof except for some premature throttle cable chaffing. The clutches might be a little weak, but they weren't meant to be fanned like a wing-ding. My 01 YZ426 is frequently raced by a pro-MXer and he abuses the day lights out of it, but it has been trouble free. I can't help but think that alot of the clutch problems are rider related. I manage a large motorcycle shop and the only broken YZ and WR strokers that come in for repair look like they have never been maintained.

an ounce of prevention goes a long way.

Regards,
Kevin

• techman

Posted January 27, 2001 - 05:02 PM

Kevin, check out Ty Davis for the chafing throttle cable problem.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.