new seat cover...stapling ?

9 replies to this topic
  • black in RI

Posted April 25, 2007 - 07:45 AM

weli ordered a new seat cover as the old one is well... ugly.

before i tear the old seat off and try to to staple the new one....

Can i use a regular non office style non air powered staple gun??
will it penetrate the plastic of the seat bottom?

Or do i need to buy/borrow an air powered one?

thank you!

• Denn10

Posted April 25, 2007 - 08:08 AM

you can use a non air gun i have a $10 stanley stapler i got from home depot and it works fine i used 3/8 t-50 staples

• asf

Posted April 25, 2007 - 10:27 AM

I've tried two different manual staple guns (one $15 no name, one $30 craftsman) and it didnt make it through the pan. I even tried a few diffferent staple types with angled vs non angled heads, it made no difference. Hell I even tried putting all 190 lbs of my weight on the stapler and didnt get it through! I fianlly had a shop do it for me and it ended up a few bucks more than the cost of the stapler and I didnt have to spend a night cussing and re-covering the seat.

• black in RI

Posted April 25, 2007 - 10:38 AM

what kind of shop??

• TDC71

Posted April 25, 2007 - 10:38 AM

I used a cheapo Stanley stapler and it shot through the plastic pan no problem:thumbsup: I'd give it a try first, before letting someone else do it, I hate it when I pay for work and it comes back worse looking than I could do:mad:

Todd

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hypersthenos

Posted April 25, 2007 - 12:03 PM

I bought an air powered stapler at Harbor Freight model #46365 for $25 which worked perfectly with ACE hardware 1/4" staples #22265. Sunk into the seat pan with no effort & looks exactly like the factory staples.

• asf

Posted April 25, 2007 - 01:02 PM

Im pretty careful with my own work, but the upholstry shop did a factory level recover. Way better than I could. They used a heat gun and ahesive around the edges to get the cover on tight.

It was a no-name auto upholstry shop.

I dont know why both staplers couldnt make it through my pan, but I am tempted to try it again when it is time to recover the seat again (maybe I'll eat my spinach this time first). I did my first recover myself, but I had to follow each staple with pliers to get them through the pan.

One problem with a manual stapler is the hammer will tear the seat cover if you are pushing really hard on the stapler.

• Denn10

Posted April 25, 2007 - 01:13 PM

One problem with a manual stapler is the hammer will tear the seat cover if you are pushing really hard on the stapler.[/QUOTE]

thats why you dont stretch the seat cover out straight and staple it close to the lip that will keep it a tighter cleaner look too. Ive done a few seat covers with my manual stapler, ya its not as easy and fast as the aip ones but you can get the same quality it just takes a bit longer

• drop

Posted April 25, 2007 - 03:39 PM

Here's a thread that gives you the step by step:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=362765

• black in RI

Posted April 25, 2007 - 05:12 PM

hnmm.. just tried staplign it with a manua stapler.. no dice... i neary shot my eye out at the same time..

i'm assuming an elecric stapler has more power right??

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.