Fork removal?

3 replies to this topic
  • shoboat90

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:06 AM

Do I really need to remove the handlebars to pull the front forks?

• flintlock28

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:41 AM

No, Just loosen the fork pinch bolts, and the forks will drop down. I think there are 4 bolts on the upper triple clamp, and 4 bolts on the lower triple clamp. Of course it's easier to take the front wheel off first, so you can "manuever" the fork tubes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ranger18

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:43 AM

Not to my knowlege. You should be able to just remove the clamping bolts from the triple clamps and slid the forks out the bottom.
You will have to take the brake caliper off, or take the perch off, which ever seems easier for you.

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2007 - 07:47 AM

The only reason to move the bars is to loosen the fork caps before you drop the tubes so that you don't have to invent something to clamp the forks in without damaging them.

You should loosen the top clamp pinch bolts, loosen the fork cap, then loosen the bottom clamp and drop the tube. The bars are sometimes in the way of this process, as on the '06, where the bar mounts interfere with fitting the ring wrench on the cap. What I do it remove the entire bar clamp/bar assembly all at the same time by removing the two bar mount bolts from below the clamp. Then, you don't need to fiddle around resetting the bar angle and such when you go back together.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.