spring on my 07 450

10 replies to this topic
  • kevinwr450f

Posted April 25, 2007 - 05:44 AM

Does anyone know if stiffing my suspension will help with my rear tire "dancing" in woop sections? At high speed it will start dancing side to side:crazy: It's stock now and I'm 5'10" and 175lbs:thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted April 25, 2007 - 05:57 AM

Have you set your sag and your compression/rebound clickers? If not, that's your problem...SC

• SXP

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:38 AM

Does anyone know if stiffing my suspension will help with my rear tire "dancing" in woop sections? At high speed it will start dancing side to side:crazy: It's stock now and I'm 5'10" and 175lbs:thumbsup:

The stock spring rates should be ideal for your weight. As Steve suggested, set the sag and then increase the rebound damping (screw the lower shock adjuster IN (CW)) one click at a time until you are happy.

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 25, 2007 - 11:33 AM

Thanks guys I'll try that. How do I adjust the sag? Sorry if it's a stupid question. Rebound clicker is the screw on top of the spring?

• GCannon

Posted April 25, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Thanks guys I'll try that. How do I adjust the sag? Sorry if it's a stupid question. Rebound clicker is the screw on top of the spring?

Service Manual???

http://shop.thumpert...spensionvid.htm

:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted April 25, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Compression clicker on top - screwing it in increases compression damping making for a firmer ride and vice versa.

Rebound clicker below - Screwing it in increases rebound damping causing the spring to return slower after being compressed and vice versa.

• jams229

Posted April 25, 2007 - 02:59 PM

I am surprised as well at how soft the rear spring is.
I weight 185 and I can not get to 3 inches of race sag.
I do not want to crank down any more on the rings
for fear I will lose the "workability" of the spring.
I am at 4 inches of race sag now.

• SXP

Posted April 25, 2007 - 03:09 PM

I am surprised as well at how soft the rear spring is.
I weight 185 and I can not get to 3 inches of race sag.
I do not want to crank down any more on the rings
for fear I will lose the "workability" of the spring.
I am at 4 inches of race sag now.

Are you standing or sitting when you take measurements? You should be standing and have someone take the measurement.

• jams229

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:46 PM

I have never heard of that. I have always sat on the seat with both feet
on the pegs to take the measurement. What difference will standing make?
Regards,
Jim

• SXP

Posted April 25, 2007 - 07:35 PM

I have never heard of that. I have always sat on the seat with both feet
on the pegs to take the measurement. What difference will standing make?
Regards,
Jim

Bike squats more when you are sitting as your weight is kinda rear biased. When standing your weight is more evenly distributed between the front and rear. After all, the preferred/recommended riding position is standing - you do do that all the time, right? :applause:

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 27, 2007 - 03:34 PM

OK I've "clicked until happy" on the rear, now do I need to adjust the front shocks?? It seems fine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.