2nd ride w/ XR600, maybe it is right bike!

3 replies to this topic
  • firffighter

Posted April 24, 2007 - 08:10 PM

I posted last week after my 1st real off road ride on my XR600 and I did not like it. We rode 35 miles and I loved it on the powerline runs and open stuff, but we got into typical Oregon tight terrain, and I struggled. Well, I went out again yersterday, and had a better time. Same type of terrain, but I just left it in 2nd gear and lugged through all the tight stuff which worked better than lurching in 1st. I rode my buddies WR250 for a while and that is definitely a no go. I didnt like the twitchy little bike in the open stuff.

I need advice on how to make my bike a little more friendly for the tight woods. Here is what I am thinking:

1) Put on a stock tank rather than my huge, wide Clarke desert tank
2) Gripper seat for better control
3) Wide pegs- always helps I feel
4) 13/50 gearing over the current 13/48
5) Buy a WR450

Any input would be great. Any other suggestions would also be great. I hate to sell this bike because it is such a blast in the open terrain, and puts a smile on your face when pulling wheelies and sending a huge roost at your riding buddies. I have considered the WR426/450, but dont know that I would gain that much in weight loss and handling compared to reliability and price of a newer bike. I like that the XR starts everytime, and that you cant kill the motor, and it has more low end grunt than a bulldozer.

• firffighter

Posted April 25, 2007 - 03:14 PM

I forgot to mention that I would be interested in trading my Clarke tank for a stock tank since mine didnt come with the stock one. My bike is a '93, and I would like one in nice condition since the Clarke tank is like new. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr500_89

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:23 PM

i got a stock red one i'll trade you if you want it you'll have to keep your pet cock and mounting stuff though

• camoman

Posted May 02, 2007 - 06:40 AM

I raced motocross way back in the day, now that I'm older and wiser I was looking for a good trail bike which lead me to an 87 xr 600r,,,My first ride seemed to be more work that fun. Second and third ride, I started throwing the big pig around with its own muscle...now I love it,,,cruising up hills and cranking down straight a ways...this bike has awsome power,,,and I do not have to worry about mixing and rebuilding....just looking to replace stator and I will be back in the hunt.....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.