07 YZ450F Hard upshifting Gears

9 replies to this topic
  • Boricua

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:36 PM

I just got a 07 YZ450F and I am having problems upshifting gears. Sometimes they are get hard and they don't go up. Has anyone experienced that?

• BrentisDead

Posted April 24, 2007 - 08:12 PM

I have an 06 that i have noticed a few times going from 1st to 2nd is not always smooth. Im going to drop my shift lever down a tooth so it sits a little lower. Im thinking this might help as long as its not too tight to get my boot in there.

• Boricua

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:22 AM

I tried lowering the lever, but then is difficult to shift when I am standing up on the bike.

• Ranger18

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:38 AM

I've heard from a few 07 owners that they have a hard time shifting.
Some people have cured the problem with synthetic oil.
Personally, the only time I've had a hard time shifting is when I bend a shift lever.
good luck

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2007 - 07:41 AM

The only time my '06 is hard to shift is when it's under a significant load, either acceleration or deceleration, and that's because the undercut on the locking lugs in the trans is holding against the shift effort. Using the clutch, or a properly timed blip of the throttle, and it shifts better and with less effort than any YZ I've seen prior to this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hall1012

Posted April 25, 2007 - 10:50 AM

I had the same problem when my 07 was new, but after a few rides it got easier to shift

• Polar_Bus

Posted April 25, 2007 - 10:53 AM

I just got a 07 YZ450F and I am having problems upshifting gears. Sometimes they are get hard and they don't go up. Has anyone experienced that?

Could also simply be your tranny is new, and still breaking in. Give it some time. My '07 YZ's shifting is a little notchy also, but I am sure things will loosen up after a month of power shifting!

• BrentisDead

Posted April 25, 2007 - 01:30 PM

My bike is very new also. I figured that it would loosen up after some more seat time. Either that or ill just find a bigger hammer :applause:

• Captaincautious7

Posted April 25, 2007 - 01:42 PM

Mine was a little notchy during break-in and has since cleaned itself up. I also recently changed my oil to Rotella Synthetic and noticed even smoother shifting, so apparently their is something to the synthetic oil thing also.

• yamaha6j

Posted April 25, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Don't worry it will go away. I had the same thing in my mind a couple of oil changes and some good time on her and my 07 is shifting well

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.