PAINT ? ? ?

11 replies to this topic
  • #1_Hit-man

Posted February 02, 2002 - 04:36 AM

Got my bike down to the frame and going to get it powder coated. Thought I would just get some ideas from the great members of TT as to what everyone thinks about what color to paint it. What color and why that color? I was thinking of "Silver vein" silver with little black vein like marks all through it, looks pretty cool. THANX! for your input. ~Hitman~

• Bill

Posted February 02, 2002 - 01:42 PM

At some point, I'd like to have mine (frame) done in Black and get the One Industries Hurricane graphics.

Silver sounds cool with the blue graphics :D :)

Bill

• Hick

Posted February 02, 2002 - 02:08 PM

Just had mine done, black on the frame and silver on the subframe. The subframe especially came out really nice, I was going to leave it bare and perhaps polish it but now I'm glad I didn't.

Best of all, it only set me back a case of beer. :)

Make sure you tell whoever is doing the work to cover or mask the oil holes/fittings in the frame and get all the oil residue out of the reservoir before they bake it. :D

• #1_Hit-man

Posted February 02, 2002 - 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Bill:
At some point, I'd like to have mine (frame) done in Black and get the One Industries Hurricane graphics.

Silver sounds cool with the blue graphics :D :)

Bill

Bill, When you want to get yours done let me know or you can just get in touch of him on the TCTRI web site. Go to the message board under the (tech tips) part of the site, and go to the powder coatings thread. I should get mine back in about 10 days :D . I will let you know how it goes, give me an e-mail or call me if you want to know more. I have a color chart to check out, but will I have to give it back when I get my frame back. Got to go, talk to ya later! ~Hitman~

• #1_Hit-man

Posted February 02, 2002 - 05:18 PM

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: #1 Hit-man ]

• #1_Hit-man

Posted February 02, 2002 - 05:18 PM

Make sure you tell whoever is doing the work to cover or mask the oil holes/fittings in the frame and get all the oil residue out of the reservoir before they bake it. :D [/QB][/QUOTE]

Hick, Yes I did remember to tell him about the oil through the frame deal and to make sure to cover all oil holes. They will sand blast it, degrease it, put in oven to get rid of all oils then powder coat it, bake it and then a final coat of clear. When they do the double colors they always do a clear on top for extra durability. Can't wait to see it when its done. To go with the paint job>>> New black 3.3 tank, new plastics(orange crush), new seat cover(black gripper), heavy duty rad. guards(devol), new header(WB), new vented plate, new flywheel weight 12oz, 01 clutch upgrade & needle, BK mod., new sprockets(14-51)& chain, two new tires, a good heavy grease job and a good polishing = NEW BIKE!!! :) :D :D ~Hitman~

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryce_Senff

Posted February 02, 2002 - 05:22 PM

Try Dirt-Brown, you'll never notice the dirt on it!! :)
Bryce

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: Bryce Senff ]

• Bryce_Senff

Posted February 02, 2002 - 05:23 PM

Try Dirt-Brown, you'll never notice the fresh dirt on it!! :)
Bryce

• yamie_rider

Posted February 03, 2002 - 03:56 PM

lol

• yamie_rider

Posted February 03, 2002 - 03:58 PM

Hey I dont mean to change the sub, but I just want some original paint to touch up my frame, anyone know where I can get some. thanx

• crazyadam

Posted February 05, 2002 - 06:57 AM

PJ-1 makes touch up paint... blue and clear coat... 6.25 ea at chaparral

• mcarp

Posted February 06, 2002 - 06:24 AM

Wow Ken, you will be riding a new bike! Hope it still looks good in June so I can see it at TC.

I think silver will look really cool, too. The veined look indeed sounds awesome! Please take some pics if you can!

As far as painting stuff, I would really try to get a paint shop do it for you unless you are a wiz with the spray can. The PJ-1 stuff is the exact same color match! But I have yet to prime/paint a part that didn't come out looking like crap after it got a few hits. I spent about half of a day on my handguards/mounts. I haven't even rode the bike yet, and they look like carp already (just from reassembling the parts and banging wrenches against them). Powder coating or annodizing aluminum parts is the way to go.

Can't wait to see your bike Hitman. I think you're going to love that flywheel weight and new gearing the best!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.