Fill me in: TPS and blue wire mod; etc.

7 replies to this topic
  • micah600

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:06 PM

What's all this business about the "blue wire mod" and Throttle Positioning Sensor? What are the results/ trade offs? How do you do it? I have an 01 426. thanks.

• micah600

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:34 PM

I'm sorry. Is that a taboo subject or somethin?

• 642MX

Posted April 25, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Leave your wires hooked up, unplugging the TPS and disconnecting the blue wire does nothing.

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2007 - 08:30 PM

While there will be some dispute about this point by some, I have to agree with 642 on this.

Disconnecting the TPS disables the CDI from mapping the advance according to throttle, and reduces it to mapping only based on engine speed. Part throttle performance suffers, and there is no performance gain from it that isn't available by other means.

Disconnecting the blue wire disables the neutral switch, which is active only in neutral, and has no effect on performance in any gear whatsoever.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PATHPOUNDER

Posted April 25, 2007 - 08:35 PM

I pulled my blue wire, with no noticable effect...I have an 01..

• Polar_Bus

Posted April 26, 2007 - 03:01 AM

While there will be some dispute about this point by some, I have to agree with 642 on this.

Disconnecting the TPS disables the CDI from mapping the advance according to throttle, and reduces it to mapping only based on engine speed. Part throttle performance suffers, and there is no performance gain from it that isn't available by other means.

Disconnecting the blue wire disables the neutral switch, which is active only in neutral, and has no effect on performance in any gear whatsoever.

Ha, ha, I remember the internet BS "Blue wire" mod way back in '02. There was also the more effective "Gray wire mod" (on the WR's). The gray wire mod on the WR's actually allowed for more ign. advance. The blue wire, when removed disabled the rev limit only in nuetral if I remember right?

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2007 - 05:18 AM

The blue wire, when removed disabled the rev limit only in nuetral if I remember right?

It simply makes the CDI think the bike is in gear when it's in neutral, so the only thing that changes is how it behaves in neutral. Some people thought it made the spark weaker, and that disconnecting it improved starting. But the truth is that the neutral signal tells the CDI to retard the timing more than when in gear for easier starting. If your bike starts better with the wire disconnected, it's most likely because it isn't jetted right.

• 426_kid

Posted April 26, 2007 - 10:47 AM

When I got my 01 426 it had the blue wire disconnected and ive never ever had a problem with it so I wouldnt kno if it made a difference but I kno a lot of people did it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.