Where To Get Header Wrap?

18 replies to this topic
  • Jwar1r1t3

Posted April 24, 2007 - 06:29 PM

I would like to try wrapping my header on my 06 wr 450, because it is annoyingly hot agenst my leg. Plus it may help the radiators run a liitle cooler.

Where do I get the stuff?? Ideally I would like to get it at NAPA or another auto parts store.

• WRC

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:41 PM

I would think that most auto parts stores might carry header wrap. i have been thinking of wraping mine under the nitrogen cylinder on the shock. I felt it after a ride and it was very HOT. I wonder if that would affect shock action when it got that hot?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 24, 2007 - 08:32 PM

That stuff if butt ugly and its what old guys like me use on their kids bike because they burn their clothes when the bike falls on them. Its about $60 per roll and is guaranteed to mess up the stunning good looks or your wr.

How is it that you feel the heat from your pipe? Are you riding in shorts with low top sneakers on?

Wear the thick motocross sock, you won't feel a thing.

• scott_h

Posted April 24, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Ugly stuff, but it works pretty well and not too expensive. I experimented with it when I was dealing with a fuel boiling issue at high altitude/temp (7500+MSL/90+F ambient) under low speed very technical and long hill climbs.

http://www.jscspeed....v/thermotec.htm

• gregwr450f

Posted April 24, 2007 - 10:23 PM

just use heat tape on the bottom of the rad.

• witdogg

Posted April 24, 2007 - 10:27 PM

http://search.ebay.c...wrap&category0=

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted April 25, 2007 - 04:15 PM

just use heat tape on the bottom of the rad.

I was thinking about that after I read a bunch of threads talking about this heating problem. Can that be purchased from a NAPA auto parts store also???

I ride in a motocross boot and always wear pants when I ride.

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 25, 2007 - 04:36 PM

I used the 1" DEI wrap on my '03. I have the infamous IMS tank on it that is pretty close to the header so I wrapped the it as a precaution. It's been on for about 6 months and seems to be holding up well. Definitely cuts down on the heat. I ordered it from Summit Racing online.

• andy666

Posted April 25, 2007 - 08:32 PM

I would like to try wrapping my header on my 06 wr 450, because it is annoyingly hot agenst my leg. Plus it may help the radiators run a liitle cooler.

Where do I get the stuff?? Ideally I would like to get it at NAPA or another auto parts store.

JEGS has it .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrmarty

Posted April 25, 2007 - 10:13 PM

I wanna get the wrap for my midpipe because it comes extremely close to my rear shock!

Posted Image

• byggd

Posted April 26, 2007 - 04:06 AM

If you the best quality look for a speed/performance parts store in your area. They always carry it.

• byggd

Posted April 26, 2007 - 04:09 AM

I wanna get the wrap for my midpipe because it comes extremely close to my rear shock!

Posted Image

It's the same on my sons yzf450 with an FMF factory4. I just figured it was normal :applause: Is that anything to worry about??

• WRC

Posted April 26, 2007 - 12:40 PM

byggd that is what I wanted to know also, I asked that earlier in this thread. I felt my nitrogen cylinder on the shock after ride the other day and it was HOT, I wonder if that will change the shock action?

• ste450

Posted April 26, 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hi, good looking tail pipe, what 'version' FMF is it?.
Also, we did an enduro last week, hot day, no wind, bikes overheated and my bro and I could feel the heat through boots/enduro pants! so you've got a point.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted April 27, 2007 - 03:28 PM

I got some foil tape to stick on the radiator so the heat from the header doesn't heat the coolant too much. Got it from home depot for $3. Is it the right tape for reflecting the heat???

• xrmarty

Posted April 27, 2007 - 05:05 PM

Hi, good looking tail pipe, what 'version' FMF is it?.
Also, we did an enduro last week, hot day, no wind, bikes overheated and my bro and I could feel the heat through boots/enduro pants! so you've got a point.

Factory 4.1 carbon with titanium midpipe.

• xrmarty

Posted April 27, 2007 - 05:10 PM

It's the same on my sons yzf450 with an FMF factory4. I just figured it was normal :applause: Is that anything to worry about??

All that heat transfered to the shock reservoir cannot be too good, imo. I'm gonna get some of that tape and wrap it under the shock- just in case.

• NavyNuke

Posted April 27, 2007 - 09:56 PM

I use the heat tape from a hotrod drag shop. works fine, but branch's and crashing tear it up. I was using it to prevent boiling with the big tank.

This summer during the off season I'm gonna get it jet coated with ceramic.

Looking at the shock, might do the midpipe too.

• ARin

Posted April 28, 2007 - 02:35 AM

remember that trapping the heat in the pipe can cause the pipe to be EXTREMELY hot and very SOFT.........more likely to dent/bend in the event of a crash.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.